[comp.sys.atari.st] 1040 & composite monitors

PPGCU@CUNYVM.BITNET (11/11/86)

I remember once upon a time seeing (in BYTE I think) a picture of the
insides of the 1040.  There was even a nice space where the RF modulator
was meant to be.  Perhaps we could add our own?  Please correct me if
I'm wrong and inform me if I'm right.  Thanks.

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (11/13/86)

[]

Last time I looked inside my 1040STf it still had an empty space (next
to the video jack) that was obviously designed for the modulator Atari
still owes us.  (That BYTE preview said it will be there, and so does
the nicely printed manual that came with my ST...)

That space has some traces for an emitter follower or something, but
not for the main part of the modulator.

But forget about the modulator:  how about getting just plain composite
video (no RF) out of the 1040?  Anyone knows how?  Or is this what was meant
in the posting, modulation meaning in this case the encoding of the colors
in the subcarrier?

- Moshe Braner

store2@ihuxi.UUCP (Wilcox) (11/13/86)

		**********[Ignore header path]*********

I just received the latest issue of Current Notes newsletter and they
had an interview with Black Patch Systems (the mail order company everyone
loves to hate).  He stated that by now they would be selling a black box
that would allow you to interface a 520 or 1040ST to any IBM-type
RGB monitor.  It will sell for $39.95.  I know this doesn't help if all
you have is a composite video monitor but it might be a nice answer for
several who bought the monochrome system and want to be able to enjoy
color and have the proper monitor available.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					1100 E. Warrenville Rd.
					Naperville, IL 60566
					...ihnp4!iwvae!kimes

store2@ihuxi.UUCP (Wilcox) (11/14/86)

	*****************[Ignore header path]*****************

> But forget about the modulator:  how about getting just plain composite
> video (no RF) out of the 1040?  Anyone knows how?  Or is this what was meant
> in the posting, modulation meaning in this case the encoding of the colors
> in the subcarrier?

Since my posting yesterday, I remembered another article I read on this
subject.  The July (I think) issue of Computer Shopper had an article that
mentioned a company called At Your Service run by Mike Spires.  He says
he has the video connectors for those that want to make their own cables
and he sells for $20 a 5 foot cable with composite video and audio out.

For those with a 520ST with the built-in modulator, he passed along an
undocumented feature.  You already have composite video on pin 2 of the
video connector.  If you would like to contact him for further information
his address is:   At Your Service
		  2856 Leechburg Rd.
		  Lower Burrell, PA 15068
		  (412)-335-4477

He is also associated with an ST FOREM BBS called the Atari Elite BBS.
He receives messages there also.  The number is (412)-384-5609.  They
run at 300, 1200 & 2400 Baud.

westerm@aa.ecn.purdue.edu.UUCP (Richard P Westerman) (11/19/86)

In article <1431@ihuxi.UUCP> store2@ihuxi.UUCP (Wilcox) writes:
>Since my posting yesterday, I remembered another article I read on this
>subject.  The July (I think) issue of Computer Shopper had an article that
>mentioned a company called At Your Service run by Mike Spires.  He says
>he has the video connectors for those that want to make their own cables
>and he sells for $20 a 5 foot cable with composite video and audio out.

Note to 1040 users: just having this cable won't make your ST into a
composite-capable machine (this is the impression I was under when I bought
the cable -- guess the ol' brain cells are decaying faster than usual). What we
need is someone to design a box, or for Atari to sell a box, that will fit onto
our video output and give us composite).

I have seen a 520 with monochrome monitor and composite color. The color is not
as good as the RGB, but it will do for games. I was almost tempted to trade
my 1040 for the 520, but the extra 512K memory and built-in drive (plus the
hope of composite sometime, somehow) was enough to keep me in the 1040 camp.

Whom: Rick Westerman                              Phone: +1-317-494-8341
Domain-type addressing:  westerm@aa.ecn.purdue.edu.UUCP
Old-style UUCP address:  {decvax, ihnp4, seismo, ucbvax}!pur-ee!westerm
USPS: Ag Data Network, Smith Hall, Purdue University, West Lafayette IN 47907
--
Whom: Rick Westerman                              Phone: +1-317-494-8341
Domain-type addressing:  westerm@aa.ecn.purdue.edu.UUCP
Old-style UUCP address:  {decvax, ihnp4, seismo, ucbvax}!pur-ee!westerm
USPS: Ag Data Network, Smith Hall, Purdue University, West Lafayette IN 47907

mugc@utecfa.UUCP (ModemUserGroupChairman) (11/25/86)

	I built a little board that would generate composite video
output from the RGB that the ST provides, using an MC1377 and very little
other components. The board is still lying around (I don't have a colour
monitor, and the board was originally designed for someone else) and I
have the schematics I used. If people are interested, send me a SASE and
I'll mail you photocopies of the schematics. If you are handy with a soldering
iron, the construction should be quite straight-forward.

	You may mail me at:

			Anees Munshi
			58 York Road
			Weston, Ontario