[comp.sys.atari.st] Info-Atari16 Digest V86 #19

Info-Atari16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU (Info-Atari16 Digest) (11/26/86)

Info-Atari16 Digest   Tuesday, November 25, 1986   Volume 86 : Issue 19

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

               Downloading problems & software request
                    Ring Indicate causes Cold Boot
                Wanted: Print Spooler for Screen Dumps
                       Selectable Text Sources?
                           Uniterm request
                           Gkermit request
                Re: External RGB to composite encoder?
                     Public Domain Midi Software
         Next Four Postings (Breakout DA + Mono & Color Game)
                Re: Distribution of ST software on the
             Re: HD Controllers (Berekeley MicroSystems)
             Re: Downloading problems & software request
          Problems with HabaComm and Kermit Send to Unix Vax
                              More Less

Date: 21 Nov 86 08:06:42 GMT
From: rutgers!husc6!husc2!grunau@titan.arc.nasa.gov  (grunau)
Subject: Downloading problems & software request
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I just got my new 1040ST, and I was hoping to be able to get all the
software I have been saving off the net for the past few weeks onto it,
since so far I am basically rather short on software ...  Well, since the
only communications program I have is the vt52 emulator and something
called "shorterm" that came off one of the compute! diskettes, I do not
have any direct downloading capability.  So, since I am lucky enough to
have access to a PC which has a 3.5" drive attached to it (AND a modem,
AND a bernoulli box, and practically everything else anyone has ever wanted
attached to a computer), I figured I would just uudecode the files on
the system, and then download them via kermit (which I DO have, for MS-DOS
machines, but not for the ST).  This all worked perfectly well, it seemed,
and of course the 3.5" disks are perfectly readable by the ST, so that the
text files I downloaded have all come out perfect.  But none of the execut-
ables work!  All but one of them say "TOS error #35" and do nothing (they
don't even get so far as to be able to crash the system), and the remaining
one the RD547.PRG ramdisk program posted a little while back) says "there
is not enough memory in your system to run the application you have chosen"
(which seems rather unlikely considering the thing is smaller than almost
everything I have that DOES run).  In short, none of the things I Kermitted
down work.

Does anybody have any suggestions?  Is there something I should be doing with
Kermit to handle binary files (since the text files are definitely coming
down perfectly)?  I am pretty sure the uudecoding is working, since if they
were really garbled, I would be surprised if they would go through uudecoe
at all (and besides, when I look at the produced binaries (on UNIX), I can
cl;clearly see string constants and so on.)

Also, while I am on the subject of requests, I would appreciate it if anybody
would send me (though of course I have currently no means to make use of
whatever anybody sends me, though hopefully that will be changing soon) a
copy of VIX, UNITERM, MicroEMACS, KERMIT, and any RAMdisk that happens to
be floating about ...

				Thanks,

							Justin Grunau

------------------------------

Date:           Fri, 21 Nov 86 13:16 EDT
From:              <RDROYA01%ULKYVX.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU> (Robert
Subject:        Ring Indicate causes Cold Boot
To:  info-atari16@su-score.arpa

I've had a problem with my modem, the ST, and the Ring indicate interrupt
and I wondered whether this was normal and if so whether I can avoid it
through software.  I have an Avatex 1200, a 1040STf, and an IBM compatible
modem cable (i.e a number of lines pulled through).  I've been writing some
terminal software that has worked very well connected to our Vax, but I have
noticed some major problems when I use the p[rogram after the phone has rung
while the modem was turned on (even with ATAD disable Auto answer off and
the voice data button to voice).  Anytime after the phone has rung, if I
connect up to the serial line, as so as I type a key, the ST cold boots
(i.e. the same as hitting the reset button).  This only happens when the
phone has rung, and it happens everytime the phone has rung.  It's not easy
to debug this because it requires someone to call in.  Maybe that's why I've
never noticed it before.  Is there some way to tell the ST not to pay any
attention to the RI interrupt (is this my problem?).  I can't figure how
anything other than a high priority interupt could completely reset the
processor.  A wild branch or something of that sort could easily bomb, but
to consistently re-boot, it seems it would have to be connected to the
interrupt system somehow.  I don't want to do surgery on the modem cable if
I've misdiagnosed the cause, but disconnecting the RI line may be the only
solution.

By the way,  I wrote a while back about RTS/CTS problems.  It turns out that
the Avatex does not have the RTS connected, so there really seems to be no
safe way around the difficulty I had.  I discovered that I could quickly
switch from Xon/Xoff to RTS/CTS right before the RTS/CTS was needed.
Turning both off led to lock-up as did using Xon-Xoff alone.  Furthermore,
once I started writing my own software, I discovered that switching RTS?CTS
on like that was not really safe.  Later on if I tried to use something
other than uniterm to connect, the modem would not respond at all.  I'd like
to hear from other Avatex users and particularly from anyone who regularly
connects to one of the following:
   1. Telenet.
   2. Any board running PSI's Participate program.
   3. Anyone who connects to the node OFFICE: on the University of New York
      Vax at Rochester.

------------------------------

Date: 21 Nov 86 22:56:05 GMT
From: kasameye@lll-lcc.arpa  (Paul W. Kasameyer)
Subject: Wanted: Print Spooler for Screen Dumps
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Does anyone know of a Print Spooling program that buffers screen dumps
as well as text?  I use SOFTSPOOL from Michtron, but it only handles
text.
    PAUL KASAMEYER

------------------------------

Date: 21 Nov 1986 20:40:07 EST
Subject: Selectable Text Sources?
From: smb.mdc@OFFICE-1.ARPA
To: info-atari16@SU-SCORE.ARPA

Has anyone written some code that uses selectable text objects in a
window? I'm talking about something similiar to the text mode for the
ST directory windows. If so, I would be interested in some example C code
that shows how to do it. Thanks in advance...

Steve Bate
McDonnell Aircraft Co.
ARPA: smb.mdc@office-1.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 21 Nov 86 15:48:57 GMT
From: trwrb!mdf@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Mark D. Falleroni)
Subject: Uniterm request
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Would someone please send me a working uuencoded copy of Uniterm?
	thanks
		Mark Falleroni
		TRW
		Ogden Engineering Office
		Ogden, utah
		84403
		801.625.8032

------------------------------

Date: 21 Nov 86 18:42:39 GMT
From: decvax!mcnc!ravi@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Ravi Subrahmanyan)
Subject: Gkermit request
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

	I have by now received numerous replies to my earlier request
for a copy of Gkermit.  Unfortunately, they were *all* requests to
forward a copy to the writer when I got one: nothing with the real
McCoy.. I'm therefore renewing my request for a repost, or for someone
to mail me the sources and/or uuencoded binary.  Come on guys,
 *someone* must have a copy of the <bleep> thing?  I'd be more than
happy to send a disk and stamped envelope if the stuff is too big to
mail.  Please respond to

		{ucbvax, devcax, ihnp4, seismo}!mcnc!ravi.UUCP

Thanks,
						-ravi

------------------------------

Date: 20 Nov 86 19:48:32 GMT
From: ubc-vision!fornax!chapman@BEAVER.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU  (John Chapman)
Subject: Re: External RGB to composite encoder?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

> 	If there is enough feedback I will design a RGB to composite
> video encoder for the 1040 and early 520's.  The plans will be posted
> through the net.  I have placed a price ceiling of about $20.00 to
> $30.00 for the project.

My Vote == I'd like such a design!!

------------------------------

Date: 21 Nov 86 23:17:03 GMT
From: mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!ins_adjb@seismo.css.gov  (Daniel Jay Barrett)
Subject: Public Domain Midi Software
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

	I would like to compile a list of Public Domain MIDI software
for the Amiga and the Atari ST.  Please, would anyone with information
on this software do one of the following:

	1)  E-mail me titles, descriptions, and availability of such
	    programs;

				** OR **

	2)  Tell me if such a list ALREADY EXISTS (and how to get it).

	I will post the list.  Thanks!

  -- Dan

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 86 20:33:43 est
From: Eric Terrell <terrell@ohio-state.ARPA>
To: info-atari16@su-score.arpa
Subject: Next Four Postings (Breakout DA + Mono & Color Game)

My next four postings will be:

breakout.acc: a "breakout game" desk accessory.  i believe that this
              program works in either color or mono mode.  i know that
              it works on mono systems.

daleks.doc:   user's guide for a robot game.  this program should work
              with all systems (color and mono).  once again, i've tried
              it out with mono, but not color.

daleks.prg    program file for the robot game.

daleks.rsc    resource file for the robot game.

All files save daleks.doc are uuencoded binaries.  Enjoy the programs.  The
breakout desk accessory is especially impressive.

Terrell

------------------------------

Date: 21 Nov 86 15:03:00 GMT
From: ihnp4!inuxc!iuvax!franco@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: Re: Distribution of ST software on the
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

The STarter Kit seems to be what you want.  It contains five disks and
has been available for some time.  It includes

1. Utilities: Text, Disk, Memory editors; Ramdisks; Xmodem, Kermit packages;
              Encoders/Decoders; ARC; plus lots of others

2. Languages: Xlisp; Tiny Basic; a barely functional assembler;

3. C Sources: For Xlisp and the xmodem package

4. FORTHMACS (takes up one disk): A complete development system based on
             FORTH.  (absolutely fantastic - if you don't want to shell
             out hundreds of dollars for a dev. system this is for you!
             It is shareware)

5. HACK: Popular computer game ported by Rodney Black

For a copy of the STarter Kit send 5 disks formatted single sided, SASE and
packing material to

John Franco
2535 Spicewood Lane
Bloomington, IN 47401

If you are mailing from Canada please send U.S. postal coupons amounting to
$1.50.  From Europe please send U.S. postal coupons amounting to $3.00.
Turnaround is less than 1 week (at my house) and usually the same day.

------------------------------

Date: 22 Nov 86 10:50:40 GMT
From: atwell@utah-cs.arpa  (Bart L. Atwell)
Subject: Re: HD Controllers (Berekeley MicroSystems)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <691@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:

>About a month ago I went up to Berekely MicroSystems to buy one of their hard
>disk controllers and adaptor boards, I have been happy as a clam with them
>since. First what are they;
>
>	the controller board is a standard Adaptec 4000 hard disk controller
>	the price BMS asked was in line with the street price (~ $115)
>
>	(this is the exciting part) the adaptor board converts the atari DMA
>	format to SCSI (~ $135)
>
>so whats so exciting ? 2 things; 1) the controller board has a real time clock
>builtin with battery backup builtin and 2) GET THIS the new release of the HDX
>program (which i am still waiting for (you listening chris ???)) supports 2
>count them 2 hard disks per controller. to the best of my knowledge neither
>Supra nor atari can do that, in fact i believe that you need the mythical
>octaplex to support more than 1 HD.

This sounds pretty good, but I have a couple of other questions:

	1.  How does such a board interface to the ST?  Does it fit
internally or plug into the DMA port and stick out the back?

	2.  What is the approximate cost?  Do you have to have both of the
above boards or are they combined?  Also, what are some good HDs that can
be used with an SCSI interface, such that the total cost of the board and
general SCSI drive would cost about the same as an Atari or Supra drive?

	3.  Since Atari markets a disk drive that plugs into the DMA port
and will hopefully fix the HD support in TOS soon (no more 40 folder, I hope),
will future software releases somehow not work with SCSI.  (Maybe this is
a naive question)

From what I've seen in Byte, there are a lot of HDs for the IBM that cost a
lot less than the $600+ currently charged for some type of drive for the
ST.  I hope this board can offer a few more options.

-Bart
atwell@utah-cs

------------------------------

Date: 22 Nov 86 21:31:55 GMT
From: husc6!rutgers!cbmvax!grr@NYU.ARPA  (George Robbins)
Subject: Re: Downloading problems & software request
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1038@husc2.UUCP> grunau@husc2.UUCP (justin grunau) writes:

>I just got my new 1040ST, and I was hoping to be able to get all the
>software I have been saving off the net for the past few weeks onto it,
>since so far I am basically rather short on software ...  Well, since the
>only communications program I have is the vt52 emulator and something
>called "shorterm" that came off one of the compute! diskettes, I do not
>have any direct downloading capability.

	Well, one way to get started is to by a low-dollar terminal program
that has x-modem capabilities and then download stuff of the Atari-BBS.
There's on called 'CHAT' by SST systems that goes for about $20 and works
fine for this purpose.  There's quite a bit of software on the BBS that
might be worth looking at.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 86 23:18:44 est
From: Eric Terrell <terrell@ohio-state.ARPA>
To: info-atari16@su-score.arpa
Subject: Problems with HabaComm and Kermit Send to Unix Vax

If anyone is using HabaComm to send files via kermit to a unix vax,
I would appreciate the opportunity to correspond with him/her.  I
am able to receive binary files fine, but when I try to send a file,
I get the wrong awk character from the recipient of the file about
every five packets.  When the transmission is finally complete, the
file received is a little too big (has a few extra characters).

I am using HabaComm version 1.06 and c-kermit version 4C.

Oh - I am able to use the GemKermit public domain program to
send and receive.  This program always works fine, but since
HabaComm is supposed to handle kermit I'd much rather get
it to send files rather than using the other program.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Bergman-Terrell

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 86 00:24:36 EST
From: maccarle@ed.ecn.purdue.edu (Carl A Maccarley)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: More Less

Many thanks to Ravi Subrahmanyan for posting the great ST port of LESS.
This is a bullet-proof utility with features even better than 4.3 UNIX MORE.
A request:  Could this be modified to run as an an accessory, or better yet,
as a replacement for TOS MORE which would intercept calls from the desktop?

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
-------