Date: 26 Nov 86 03:16:39 GMT
From: cbatt!cwruecmp!bammi@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Jwahar R. Bammi)
Subject: Re: Sony KV1311 w/ st
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <850@marlin.UUCP> anderson@marlin.UUCP (Gregory W. Anderson) writes:
>This is probably an old question that's been covered before but
>will the RGB output of the 520 or 1040 work with the
>Sony KV1311CR? If so, does anyone have the pin to pin connections
>figured out?

The following article appeared on CompuServe that gives the details:
--

    This text article (10K) explains how to adapt the Sony KV-1311CR Sony
    monitor to the Atari 520ST(1040ST).  Since this article was written the

	    Alternative To ATARI SC1224 Color Monitor
			  For The 520ST

		by Dave Young and Henry Katzmarek

     An alternative to using the Atari SC1224 color monitor is now
available.  A  Sony Trinitron TV/ monitor model KV-1311CR has been
adapted for use as a 520ST monitor by the authors.
     The  Sony  TV has the advantage of use as a TV,  an  ATARI800
monitor,  a  520ST monitor and as a VCR monitor.  The ATARI800 and
the  520ST can both be connected to the Sony TV at the same  time.
The TV has an internal switch which can be used to switch  between
either  computer or the TV at will.  Performance of the Sony TV is
equal  to  or better than the Atari monitor.  Sound on the  TV  is
considerably  better.  By  using  the Sony TV one unit  becomes  a
video center.
     A  composite  cable  is needed for the  ATARI800.  The  520ST
requires  addition  of  a  5 volt regulator to  the  Sony  TV  and
construction of an interface with circuitry to adapt the  computer
to the Sony TV  analog RGB input.  All of the parts can be readily
purchased  except for the connector for the 520ST  monitor  input.
The   authors	used   the   Atari   SM124   monochrome    monitor
connector.  The  connector was removed from the SM124 and replaced
with   a  standard  DBxx-subminiature  connector.   A  switch  and
connector were added to the interface so that both the Atari SM124
and  Sony  TV could be connected to the 520ST.  The switch  allows
either  the  SM124  or the Sony TV to be connected  to  the  520ST
without  unconnecting  one  then connecting  the  other.  Changing
switch	 position  and  rebooting  the  520ST  will  make   either
functional.
     Adaption  of the Sony TV for 520ST use requires a few  simple
parts and a minor modification to the Sony TV.  A 5 volt regulator
(LM7805CT)  is  added  to the Sony TV to provide 5  volts  to  the
interface circuitry. The interface adaptor circuitry consist of an
Exclusive  OR (74LS86) and a Line Driver (74S140).  The  circuitry
adapts  the  520ST H-sync and V-sync signals to a single  Sony  TV
Composite sync input signal.
     The 5 volt regulator is added by removing the Sony TV  cover.
Eight  (8)  screws  indicated by arrows on the TV  cover  must  be
removed, four(4) are behind the tube face -  one on each corner of
the tube, two (2) at the TV back at the bottom corners and two (2)
at  RGB  connector  panel  - middle  sides  of  the  panel.  After
removing  the  TV cover mount the 5 volt regulator to  the  silver
heat sink labeled  V OUT.  Mount the 5 volt regulator with a small
nut  and bolt to the out side of the heat sink facing the side  of
the  TV  with the 5 volt regulator tabs facing up.  A hole in  the
heat  sink on the side of the heat sink can be used.  After the  5
volt  regulator  is  secured to the heat sink,  bend  the  middle,
ground, tab over and solder to the top edge of the heat sink. Then
solder a wire to each of the other two tabs.
     Now  connect  the  other end of the wires  from  the  5  volt
regulator  tabs to the side panel printed circuit  card  assembly.
Solder  the  IN tab,  the right tab as facing the mounted  5  volt
regulator,  wire  to  the +12 volt pin 1,  is marked as +12 V,  of
three  (3) pin connector contact B-9 or the six (6) pin  connector
contact B-6.  Next solder the OUT tab,  the left tab as facing the
mounted  5  volt regulator,  wire to an unused pin on the Sony  TV
analog,  thirty-four (34) pin connector contact,  the authors have
used both pins 1 and 28 for the +5 volts.
      Assemble  the  Sony  TV and you are  ready  to  connect  the
adaptor.
      The adaptor and cable build takes the most time.  Solder the
two  integrated circuits on a printed circuit card or use  sockets
for  easy replacement ,  Radio Shack's experimenter's IC perfboard
works.  Connect  pins 14 of both IC's together and pins 7 of  both
IC's together.  Connect pin 3 of IC 74LS86 to pins  1,2,4 and 5 of
IC 74S140.
      Assemble	 the  connector  removed  from  the  Atari   SM124
Monochrome  monitor to a cable of ten (10) conductors or more.  Be
sure  to label the ends of the SM124 cable,  wires,  as to the pin
numbers  they  were attached for reference when  attaching  a  new
connector.
     Assemble  a flat cable to connect the adaptor to the Sony  TV
RGB  analog  contact.  A standard thirty-four (34) connector  flat
cable and cable connectors available at Radio Shack can be used.
     Rebuild  the  SM124  Monochrome  monitor  cable  with  a  new
connector.  Use  the same pin numbers as were  identified when the
original connector was removed.  Make sure that a mating connector
for the new one used is available for the the adaptor assembly.  A
standard DBxx-subminiture,  25 contact connectors were used by the
authors.
     Assemble  the adaptor.  Start with a box to mount the adaptor
parts  in.  Radio  Shack has a number of usable boxes.  Mount  the
mating  connectors for the Sony TV analog  RGB flat cable and  the
Atari	SM124  Monochrome  monitor  cable  as  desired.   Mount  a
subminiture  double pole,  double throw (DPDT) switch with  center
OFF  position,  also  available at Radio Shack,  so it is  readily
accessible.  Mounting  a  5  volt  LED unit to  indicate  Sony  TV
connection  and  adaptor power are available is a  nice  addition.
Mount the IC printed circuit card assembly in the box.
     The internal wiring for the adaptor assembly is described  in
stages. Starting with the Atari 520ST pin connections:

     520ST		      Adaptor
     Monitor Connection       Monochrome Connector
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  _____________       ___  _______________
      1   Audio out	       1   Audio in
      8   Ground	       8   Ground
     11   Monochrome	      11   Monochrome
     13   Ground	      13   Ground

     520ST		      Adaptor
     Monitor Connection       Sony TV Flat Cable Connector
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  ____________	      ___  _______________________
      1   Audio out	      24   Audio input
      6   Green		      26   Green input
      7   Red		      25   Red input
      8   Ground	       4   Ground
     10   Blue		      27   Blue input
     13   Ground	      6-16 Ground

     520ST		      Adaptor
     Monitor Connection       IC 74LS86, EXCLUSIVE-OR
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  _____________       ___  __________________
      9   Horizontal sync      1   Gate 1 input
     12   Vertical sync        2   Gate 2 input
     13   Ground	       7   Ground

     520ST		      Adaptor
     Monitor Connection       IC 74S140, LINE DRIVER
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  _____________       ___  _________________
     13   Ground	       7   Ground

     520ST		      Adaptor
     Monitor Connection       Subminiture DPDT Switch
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  ____________	      ___  ___________
      4   Monochrome detect    2   Side one center

     520ST		      Adaptor
     Monitor Connector	      LED
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  ____________	      ___  ___________
     13   Ground	       2   Cathode side

     Adaptor		      Adaptor
     IC 74LS86, EXCLUSIVE-OR  IC 74S140 LINE DRIVER
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  ___________	      ___  ___________
      3   Gate 1 output       1,2, Gate 1 inputs
			      4&5

     Adaptor		      Adaptor
     IC 74S140 LINE DRIVER    Sony TV Flat Cable Connector
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  ________________    ___  ___________
      6   Gate 1 output       30   Composite sync input

     Adaptor		      Adaptor
     LED		      Sony TV Flat Cable Connector
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  __________	      ___  ___________
      1   Anode side	       1   +5 volts

     Adaptor		      Adaptor
     Subminiture DPDT Switch  Sony TV Flat Cable Connector
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  ___________	      ___  ___________
      4   Side two top	       1   +5 volts

     Adaptor		      Adaptor
     Sony TV Flat Cable Conn  IC 74LS86, EXCLUSIVE-OR
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  ___________	      ___  ___________
      1   + 5 volts	      14   Vcc

     Adaptor		      Adaptor
     Sony TV Flat Cable Conn  IC 74S140, LINE DRIVER
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  ___________	      ___  __________
      1   +5 volts	      14   Vcc

     Adaptor		      Adaptor
     Subminiture DPDT Switch  Sony TV Flat Cable Connector
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  ___________	      ___  __________
      5   Side two center     29,  Fast blanking input
			      33,  RGB/NORMAL mode select
			      &34  Audio select

     Adaptor		      Adaptor
     Subminiture DPDT Switch  Monochrome Connector
     Pin  Description	      Pin  Description
     ___  ___________	      ___  ___________
      3   Side one bottom      4   Monochrome detect

     If you are interested in more details, or wish to have a Sony
TV  converted for your Atari 520ST contact the authors.  Note that
installation  of  the  5  volt regulator  may  void  your  Sony  TV
warranties.
--
usenet: .....!decvax!cwruecmp!bammi		jwahar r. bammi
csnet:	     bammi@case

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 86 21:56:57 EST
From: maccarle@ed.ecn.purdue.edu (Carl A Maccarley)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: 20K Digest Limitation

In the last digest, William "Chops" Westfield writes......
> At least one mail redistribution point (at MIT) has been
> complaining about the INFO-ATARI digests being too long for it to
> handle.  Therefore I will attempt to limit the size of these
> digests to about 20K characters.
> The problem is that many of the uuencoded (or whatever) programs
> that have been submitted have been longer than this.  Could people
> submitting programs please cut them into ~20K chunks?

I guess this is an unavoidable problem.  But many of the best uuencoded
programs posted to the net have exceeded 20K.  Breaking up a neat program
into several 20K chunks and distributing it over a sequence of digests could
be very frustrating for both the author and users.
This situation creates a real incentive to get one of the several proposed
central depository or local distribution schemes going.

Adding another to the list of suggestions on this topic, I offer my two bits.
I'm not any network-guru, so I hope this isn't too dumb/naive/redundant...

Perhaps if, in addition to the inevitable "chunked" listings in the digest,
you folks at Stanford could accept uuencoded programs of any length, storing
them in your info-atari archives (for some established time period).  Then,
those who have volunteered to serve as local distributors, moderators and
disk-mailers could ftp the stuff and handle things however they choose.  You
might mail the full sources directly only to distributors on other nets, who
can't ftp from you.  A list of active local distribution sites, including their
modes of distribution, could be published in the digest periodically.
Eventually, authors would only need to post descriptions of the programs
(including the exact archive name) in the digest.
This might make it easier for the several other proposed distribution methods
to get going without having to get *too* organized.

FINIS

[After some private mail, Carl asuggested that this message not be sent to
 the digest after all.  However, it raises some good points, and the next
 message would be out of context without it...   -BillW]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 25 Nov 86 17:45:40-PST
From: William "Chops" Westfield <BILLW@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: 20K Digest Limitation
To: maccarle@ed.ecn.purdue.edu

Actually, given a program broken into several 20K chunks, I would mail
out all the chunks at the same time (but not in one message...).  This
should cut down on frustration.

Currently each program I send out in a digest is also being stored
as a seperate file (still in mail file format however) in the Score
INFO-ATARI-ARCHIVES.  Not posting programs at all would be fine with
me, but I suspect that there are many people that can't geth them except
through mail (eg SIMTEL20 just installed a procedure to cut programs
apart and mail them out based on mailed-in request (a pretty neat idea).

Personally, I don't have an atari, don't understand atari file formats,
don't want to have to deal with uuencoding and decoding (hey, lets
argue about what the format of the files sitting on Score should be!)
(Anybody wanna buy us another disk?)  You seriously underestimate
the level of organization necessary to do anything with a large
mailing list like info-atari.  I can't even figure out a good way
to automate the digestification process, or get it to the point
where a non-teco wizzard can create digests easilly...  Sigh.

BillW

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 86 17:52:00 GMT
To:  info-atari16@su-score.ARPA
From:  K538915%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Return-Receipt-To: K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET
Subject: Harddisk problems.....

Yesterday I had a slightly traumatic experience with my harddisk....
I must of passed the /?$%4## limit of 40 directories per session (I know,
my fault) and when I tried to save desktop.inf to disk the system died...
ok, so reboot.....bang and there it goes again..the Desktop must have written
a bad desktop.inf to drive c. Anyway there is a way around this..put a desktop.
inf on your bootdisk and then the one on the harddisk is ignored...but
now imagine following situation:
******Flame follows*******

For some reason you get a bad accessory on drive c: (it happend to AXEL@COMA
but he thought the problem only happens when you actually boot from the
hard disk, in reality it can happen to all harddisk users!)
		 |-> -the system will crash trying to boot		|
		     -you can't delete the file because you can't boot  |
		     -you can't boot from disk because AHDI doesn't work|
		      with TOS im RAM					|
		     -you can't even format the disk, because to do that|
		      you need AHDI loaded ------------------------------
the only way around this is to have a second harddisk handy, boot from
the second disk and then switch to the bad disk and use a disk editor to
delete the file.
Is this the new way to get everybody to buy two hard disks?????????????
*******Flame off*******

Can't ATARI try to write some kind of utility to solve this
problem ? BTW is Atari really trying to fix the 40 directory 'feature'?

		  Simon Poole
		  K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 26 Nov 86 16:29:41 GMT
From: oyster@unix.macc.wisc.edu  (Vicarious Oyster)
Subject: Re: GDOS distribution
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1044@husc2.UUCP> grunau@husc2.UUCP (justin grunau) writes:
>There are those who speak of GDOS as a "missing" part of GEM,
>or something that was "supposed to have been included" in GEM from
>the beginning:  this would imply that it should (eventually, when fully
>debugged, of course) be distributed without charge:  I seem to sense that
>this is unlikely.

   As usual, there are the two sides to this (which applies equally
well to the new ROM question):

 1) "Our" side- We paid for a working GEM machine.  GDOS is an integral
    part of GEM, and a relatively bug-free OS is an integral part of the
    machine in general.

 2) "Their" side- You paid for what you got.  Any development done to better
    the computer costs more money, which we pass on to you when you buy the
    newer components.

As much as I'd like to get GDOS and new ROM chips free, I can certainly
see Atari's position.  After all, the computer is very inexpensive compared
to it's peers; what's another $20-50 more?  (Frankly, though, I'd like to
see the rumored new ROM free or very cheap-- manufacturing costs only.)

> ...contrary to what he [N. Harris] claimed,
>when I phoned Atari on Mr. Harris's information that any developer, not
>only those who have purchased Atari's developer's kit, can be registered
>with Atari, I was told (1) that this was not so, but that I had to buy
>the full kit, Alcyon C included...

   You may have been misled by my posted interpretation of what one of the
Atari people stated.  While I can agree with Atari's position on some
matters (like the above), I still think it's a *really* dumb idea to
restrict documentation and new developments to people who have paid for
a kit containing a lot of undesirable stuff.  I can *almost* see that kind
of policy for the first few critical months in the life of a new machine,
but there is already a large alternate source for many of the components
of the current developer's kit, and we latecomers who have chosen other
C compilers, assemblers, Kermits, etc., shouldn't have to pay for yet
another set of the same software (which, according to all reports I've
read, is inferior).
   Incidentally, I heard from a friend who has both an ST and an IBM with
GEM (GDOS intact, and *very* impressive!) that you can get the IBM GEM
documentation and C bindings for ~$100 directly from DRI.  From what I
understand (and owners of the Atari Dev. Kit can correct this), the ST
GEM documentation is a barely changed version of the IBM stuff.  That
still won't get you first dibs on new developments from Atari, nor
access to things like the CompuServe developers forum, but at least you
won't have to make do with the Abacus books, and you won't be the proud
owner of a second C compiler, etc.

 - Joel Plutchak
   uucp: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster
   ARPA: oyster@unix.macc.wisc.edu

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
-------