[comp.sys.atari.st] GDOS distribution

grunau@husc2.UUCP (grunau) (11/26/86)

Ok, once again, there are a lot of apocryphal rumours going around, and a lot
of conflicting information from Atari itself.  Is there anybody out there w/
any authority to comment on the following inquiry:

Will GDOS be distributed to non-developers at any time in the near future, and
if so, at what sort of cost?  There are those who speak of GDOS as a "missing"
part of GEM, or something that was "supposed to have been included" in GEM from
the beginning:  this would imply that it should (eventually, when fully
debugged, of course) be distributed without charge:  I seem to sense that
this is unlikely.

On Neil Harris's earlier comments, I am willing to accept that GDOS is
currently available to developers:  however, contrary to what he claimed,
when I phoned Atari on Mr. Harris's information that any developer, not
only those who have purchased Atari's developer's kit, can be registered
with Atari, I was told (1) that this was not so, but that I had to buy
the full kit, Alcyon C included, and (2) that currently GDOS is only being
distributed to large, institutional developers, anyway:  not to just any
person in off the street who got the developers kit, even.  This confuses
me.  Is there any more up-to-date information available?

									JJMG
							Harvard Grad. School

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (11/26/86)

In article <1044@husc2.UUCP> grunau@husc2.UUCP (justin grunau) writes:
>There are those who speak of GDOS as a "missing"
>part of GEM, or something that was "supposed to have been included" in GEM from
>the beginning:  this would imply that it should (eventually, when fully
>debugged, of course) be distributed without charge:  I seem to sense that
>this is unlikely.

   As usual, there are the two sides to this (which applies equally
well to the new ROM question):

 1) "Our" side- We paid for a working GEM machine.  GDOS is an integral
    part of GEM, and a relatively bug-free OS is an integral part of the
    machine in general.

 2) "Their" side- You paid for what you got.  Any development done to better
    the computer costs more money, which we pass on to you when you buy the
    newer components.

As much as I'd like to get GDOS and new ROM chips free, I can certainly
see Atari's position.  After all, the computer is very inexpensive compared
to it's peers; what's another $20-50 more?  (Frankly, though, I'd like to
see the rumored new ROM free or very cheap-- manufacturing costs only.)

> ...contrary to what he [N. Harris] claimed,
>when I phoned Atari on Mr. Harris's information that any developer, not
>only those who have purchased Atari's developer's kit, can be registered
>with Atari, I was told (1) that this was not so, but that I had to buy
>the full kit, Alcyon C included...

   You may have been misled by my posted interpretation of what one of the
Atari people stated.  While I can agree with Atari's position on some
matters (like the above), I still think it's a *really* dumb idea to
restrict documentation and new developments to people who have paid for
a kit containing a lot of undesirable stuff.  I can *almost* see that kind
of policy for the first few critical months in the life of a new machine,
but there is already a large alternate source for many of the components
of the current developer's kit, and we latecomers who have chosen other
C compilers, assemblers, Kermits, etc., shouldn't have to pay for yet
another set of the same software (which, according to all reports I've
read, is inferior).
   Incidentally, I heard from a friend who has both an ST and an IBM with
GEM (GDOS intact, and *very* impressive!) that you can get the IBM GEM
documentation and C bindings for ~$100 directly from DRI.  From what I
understand (and owners of the Atari Dev. Kit can correct this), the ST
GEM documentation is a barely changed version of the IBM stuff.  That
still won't get you first dibs on new developments from Atari, nor
access to things like the CompuServe developers forum, but at least you
won't have to make do with the Abacus books, and you won't be the proud
owner of a second C compiler, etc.
--

 - Joel Plutchak
   uucp: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

grunau_b@husc4.harvard.edu (justin grunau) (11/28/86)

Yes (in reply to Vicarious Oyster), your points are all well-taken.  I am
not trying to be selfish, here.  I recognize that Atari is selling the
machine dirt-cheap, and that they have to recoup their R&D costs as well as
their current manufacturing costs.  I was thinking about cheap mail-order
manufacturers the other day:  for instance, PC's Limited sells (at the top
of their line), a fully-decked out fully AT compatible for $1800, where
fully-decked out means 8MHz, 1MB RAM, 1.25M floppy, 20M hard disk, ports,
clock/calendar w/ battery backup, hercules-compatible monitor interface,
and monochrome monitor.  For a monochrome ST with 20M hard disk, one would
pay $1800 retail, $1450 typical mail-order discount ($800 mono. ST, $650
Supra or Atari 20M).  So we are talking comparable prices.  Yet PC's limited
provides very high-quality service, including FREE monthly ROM upgrades.
Of course, one ends up with a boring (though admittedly powerful) AT.  I
realized, however, that the difference is that PC's Limited is capitalizing
on IBM's R&D, whereas Atari (even though they did the smart thing and went
with GEM) had to shell out a lot of capital to design the ST in the first
place, and are still (I hope!) spending bucks to debug the OS.

So let no one (esp. Atari) imagine I am trying to be unfair to their side
of the story.  I would be happy if they sold GDOS at a reasonable fee, and
the debugged ROMs (free of blitter) at a nominal fee.

For right NOW, I would be happy if I could get some **official** information
from Atari on whether there are even going to BE fixes to the 40-folder
limit, non-booting from HD (at least allow an AUTO folder on the HD, like
you currently allow the .ACC files to be read from drive C:), and whether
either GDOS will be available to non-developers or that we can really be
registered as developers w/o their compiler.

									JJMG
							Harvard  Linguistics