[comp.sys.atari.st] Help needed with v_gtext

leo@sunybcs.UUCP (11/27/86)

A friend of mine asked me to post this for her:

     I'm writing a scrolling program with Mark Williams C
that uses windows and I'm having a few problems because of
a lack of good documentation. (I'm using The ATARI ST Gem
Programmer's Reference by Abacus)
     I'm printing text to the screen using v_gtext and I would
like to show certain lines in reverse video.  I have tried setting
the background color to black and then printing the line over it,
but that doesn't seem to work.
     Also, after running the program, GEM does not recognize the
mouse when using dialog boxes.  I know it has something to
do with turning the mouse (or mouse control?) on and off, but
there doesn't seem to be any explanation in the Abacus book.

Please e-mail replies to either this account or to ...sunybcs!npdp1!kathy
and, of course, thanks in advance for any help!

-Leo
--
Leo E. Wilson(leo@buffalo.csnet)	Niagara Paper Company
364 West Delavan Avenue			99 Bud-Mil Drive

grunau_b@husc4.harvard.edu (justin grunau) (11/28/86)

Actually, I daresay that many of us would like to hear the responses to this
question ... if you could summarize what you get (or if someone who is fairly
certain of their information wants to just post the answer here directly), I
think many of us would appreciate it ...

Of course, this is very apropos of my question earlier on developers documen-
tation.  Do these comments on the Abacus docs refer only to that one book (i.e.
should one get more of the Abacus books to have all the information), or should
one really go for the Atari developers kit to get the right documentation, or
is there just nothing out there that is satisfactory, yet?

									JJMG

bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (Jwahar R. Bammi) (11/30/86)

In article <702@husc6.UUCP> grunau_b@husc4.UUCP (justin grunau) writes:
>Of course, this is very apropos of my question earlier on developers documen-
>tation.  Do these comments on the Abacus docs refer only to that one book (i.e.
>should one get more of the Abacus books to have all the information), or should
>one really go for the Atari developers kit to get the right documentation, or
>is there just nothing out there that is satisfactory, yet?
	In my opinion the Abacus books deserve all the bad publicity they
have gotten in this news group. The good news is that there are excellent
alternates avaialable without resorting the the Atari development  system
(which BTW i don't find too bad personally, once you seperate the heap
you get from atari into their respective parts). Here is the list of
alternates that i have. Perphaps others can add to the list.

  Aes/Vdi:

	"Programmers Guide to Gem"
	Phillip Balma and William Fitler
	SYBEX
	This is an excellent book on GEM. Certainly a must buy. The only
	info that is missing are some vdi input calls, that GEM programmers
	don't use too often anyway, because if you are using Aes for input
	it is dangerous to use these simultaneously, though it can be arranged.

	Professional GEM
	Tim Oren
	Antic Online
	I have posted all 17 parts and their appendices here.

   Gemdos/Xbios/Bios
	The documentations that comes with Mark Williams C.

	The best set of Ikbd docs were posted here a while ago.

	"The Atari ST Explored"
	John Braga
	Kuma Computers
		The first 11 chapters of this book are pretty useless.
	Chapter 12, titled "Hackers start here" (no jokes), onwards
	has some pretty decent info and tips.

	"The concise Atari St 68000 Programmer's Reference Guide"
	Katherine Peel
	Glentop
		Very terse, but very useful quick reference, once you
		are familiar with Aes/Vdi and Gemdos.

	The Abacus Internals book should be taken with heaps of
	salt, as there are quite a few mistakes in there.

	Atari will supposedly release a new set of documentation,
	perhaps Neil can tell us when to expect it, and to whom
	it will be available.
--
usenet: .....!decvax!cwruecmp!bammi		jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@case