[comp.sys.atari.st] Distribution of ST software on the net

gordan@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta) (11/20/86)

This is my first post to the net, so I hope
it doesn't drop off the edge of the world...

Like many users of the net, I've been frustrated
occasionally by garbled reception of uuencoded
software... and like many users at sites with less
than fully reliable news delivery, I've missed a
number of postings of programs (only finding out
about them when mentioned in other postings).

The point is, for all its benefits, the net is
not a particularly effective means of distributing
ST programs.  There is unreliable reception, uudecode
does not seem to work consistently on all host machines
(and some people do not have it), and even program files
that are reliably received must be edited, uudecoded,
and finally kermited to your ST.

What I am wondering is why an alternate means of
distributing public domain software created by Usenet
users could not be organized.  For instance, a large
number of programs could be packed on a single floppy
disk which could be sent through ordinary *non-electronic*
mail.

Is this a good idea?  If there is positive feedback (posted
to the net -- I have no idea what my address path might be)
would anyone be willing to organize such an operation (since
it's my idea I *might* if the prospect is not too horrible).

GP

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (11/21/86)

In article <126@maccs.UUCP> gordan@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta) writes:
>Like many users of the net, I've been frustrated
>occasionally by garbled reception of uuencoded
>software...

>The point is, for all its benefits, the net is
>not a particularly effective means of distributing
>ST programs.

>What I am wondering is why an alternate means of
>distributing public domain software created by Usenet
>users could not be organized.  For instance, a large
>number of programs could be packed on a single floppy
>disk which could be sent through ordinary *non-electronic*
>mail.
>
>Is this a good idea?  If there is positive feedback (posted
>to the net -- I have no idea what my address path might be)
>would anyone be willing to organize such an operation

   There have been a few individuals who have done something like this
in the past.  However, I haven't seen anything mentioned recently (are
you still out there?).
   I would be willing to be a local distribution node in a distributed
network, i.e. there would be a person (or two) for each general area of
the continent who would collect and maintain a set of software, and handle
requests from people in his/her area.  This kind of scheme, if workable
(and I welcome constructive criticism), should prevent one person from
burning out from too much work, and would get PD software to people more
quickly.  On the minus side, it would require a bit more work in keeping
local contact people up to date.  However, I think the initial hassle of
setting up a system like this would be worth it in the long run.  Maybe
we could even get an official seal of approval from Atari as the
Distributed Atari Software Team and Regional Distributors (DASTARD :-).
--

 - Joel Plutchak
   uucp:   {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

makaiwi@cory.Berkeley.EDU (KHYRON the DESTROYER) (11/21/86)

In article <126@maccs.UUCP> gordan@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta) writes:
>Like many users of the net, I've been frustrated
>occasionally by garbled reception of uuencoded
>software...

Me too.

>What I am wondering is why an alternate means of
>distributing public domain software created by Usenet
>users could not be organized.

Yes, go on.

>A number of programs could be packed on a single floppy
>disk which could be sent through ordinary *non-electronic*
>mail.
>Is this a good idea?

Yes, a wonderful idea.  (In my humble opinion).

					Jeff Makaiwi
					(aka KHYRON)
					makaiwi@cory.Berkeley.EDU

P.S.  If I have a path name, I don't know about it!

gordan@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta) (11/22/86)

In article <547@uwmacc.UUCP> oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) writes:
>In article <126@maccs.UUCP> gordan@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta) writes:
>>-------------------------------------------
>>Like many users of the net, I've been frustrated
>>occasionally by garbled reception of uuencoded
>>software...
>
>>What I am wondering is why an alternate means of
>>distributing public domain software created by Usenet
>>users could not be organized.  For instance, a large
>>number of programs could be packed on a single floppy
>>disk which could be sent through ordinary *non-electronic*
>>mail.
>>
>   I would be willing to be a local distribution node in a distributed
>network, i.e. there would be a person (or two) for each general area of
>the continent who would collect and maintain a set of software, and handle
>requests from people in his/her area.  This kind of scheme, if workable
>(and I welcome constructive criticism), should prevent one person from
>burning out from too much work, and would get PD software to people more
>quickly.  On the minus side, it would require a bit more work in keeping
>local contact people up to date.  However, I think the initial hassle of
>setting up a system like this would be worth it in the long run.  Maybe
>we could even get an official seal of approval from Atari as the
>Distributed Atari Software Team and Regional Distributors (DASTARD :-).
>--
>
> - Joel Plutchak
>   uucp:   {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster
>   ARPA:   oyster@unix.macc.wisc.edu
>   BITNET: plutchak@WISCMACC
>   BIX:  plutch

Thanks for the responses that have been received on this subject.  I am
encouraged so far to think that the idea might be feasible.

I did receive some cautionary advice in e-mail from Allan Pratt warning that
the amount of work involved might be considerable, and suggesting contacting
anyone who may have tried this idea before and possibly given up.  So any
advice on this subject either in e-mail or on the net would be welcome.  It
would be nice to have some idea of exactly what amount of time and effort
would be involved before proceeding.

Another suggestion from Allan Pratt was that BBSs might be used instead as
a means of obtaining software.  There are certainly many bulletin boards all
over the continent and I myself am a user of a number of local ones.  However,
most Sysops do not appreciate users who merely download software without
contributing to their message base, considering this to be an abuse of their
system.  Nevertheless, for those so inclined, BBSs are a useful resource -- I
was able to find a copy of Uniterm after two net postings were garbled.

Still, there may be a need for another way, for those who might not have
modems or are just casually interested in obtaining software.  I would like
to hear some more opinions though before any decision to go ahead.

Gordan Palameta

Usenet:  ... { !seismo, !utzoo } !mnetor!genat!maccs!gordan

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (11/29/86)

In article <132@maccs.UUCP> gordan@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta) writes:
>>>	...			For instance, a large
>>>number of programs could be packed on a single floppy
>>>disk which could be sent through ordinary *non-electronic*
>>>mail.
>
>I did receive some cautionary advice in e-mail from Allan Pratt warning that
>the amount of work involved might be considerable, and suggesting contacting
>anyone who may have tried this idea before and possibly given up.  So any
>advice on this subject either in e-mail or on the net would be welcome.  It

I have been doing this for the Amiga for about a year now, and I can assure
you it *IS* a lot of work.  I have 40 disks that I put together, with 5 or
6 more currently on the way, and have received requests from all over the
world.  I estimate that this has consumed approximately 20 hours per
week of my "spare" time for the last year.  Be sure not to underestimate
your expenses so as not to end up subsidizing the operation with your
money as well as your time.  I rarely have a combined BIX/WELL/telephone
bill less than $300 per month, and one month it was well over double that.

On the plus side, you get the gratitude of thousands of users you have never
met (not to mention the disk manufacturers who have probably sold several
hundred thousand extra blank disks because of my library :-).

P.S.	Hope you don't have a girl friend, wife, kids, or other distracting
	influencies...  :-)

-Fred
Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{seismo!noao!mcdsun,hplabs!well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976

gordan@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta) (11/30/86)

In article <136@mcdsun.UUCP> fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:

>>I did receive some cautionary advice in e-mail from Allan Pratt warning that
>>the amount of work involved might be considerable...
>
>I have been doing this for the Amiga for about a year now, and I can assure
>you it *IS* a lot of work.  I have 40 disks that I put together, with 5 or
>6 more currently on the way, and have received requests from all over the
>world.  I estimate that this has consumed approximately 20 hours per
>week of my "spare" time for the last year.  Be sure not to underestimate

Hmmm that sounds fairly horrendous.  That sounds like a part-time job, which
wouldn't be too bad if the renumeration was right... however, there are user
groups, BBSs, and computer stores that collect general PD software and sell
disks for about $10 each...

What I have in mind is something more modest, namely just "Usenet-specific"
software, for the purpose of putting an end to plaintive repost requests.
Under this category, I'd include the following:

ARC (archiver utility), FORMAT+ (custom format utility),
reset-proof RAMDISK, GEM Kermit, Uniterm, VIX, MicroEmacs,
MONST (monitor, disk and memory editor & disassembler) with docs in English

and possibly a grab bag of others like STSPEECH, ALITE, etc.

The idea would be to create a standard disk (or two or three) containing
these programs (all ARCed to save space, except for ARC itself)
which could be requested through the postal service.  When a request was
received, the standard disk would be disk-copied as a whole onto a blank
disk and mailed (disk-copy rather than custom mix-and-match file-copies, to
minimize the work required).

I currently have all the programs mentioned above (except for VIX) and could
distribute them.  However: i) right now, we're flying in the face of the
Xmas mail rush  ii) I'll be off the net (and unreachable) for the second half
of December (end-of-term Xmas vacation).  So January seems a more auspicious
time to start, unless someone out there is incredibly desperate...

The above list of "canonical" Usenet software is naturally open to suggestion.

Gordan Palameta    Usenet: {!seismo, !utzoo} !mnetor!genat!maccs!gordan