[comp.sys.atari.st] yet another # of files limitation

turner@imagen.UUCP (11/28/86)

i've not seen this posted before so i thought that i might pass it
along, there is a limit of 256 to the number of files that you can
have in one window/folder, if you try to add the 257th you get a
message about the file being read-only or some such nonsence and the
copy operation fails
--
----
		These are days for the locust to eat

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL

grunau_b@husc4.harvard.edu (justin grunau) (11/29/86)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st

Hi -- does anybody out there have any memory-testing routines out there,
uuencoded, ARC-ed is fine, that they can send to me via e-mail or post
to the net?  (the best way to reach me is on host husc4, not husc2)  Also,
some sort of chkdsk (disk-checking routine) for a hard disk?

I have COMPUTE!'s "STSHELL.PRG" from one of their disk-magazines -- it is a
very simple, mostly not very useful, slightly-CSH-like CLI.  It has a
command called "mf" for "memory free", I guess, only what it tells me is that
I have 786442 bytes available.  Since I should have a little closer to a meg
than that (the program itself is only 23447 bytes long, and the desk acc-
essories certainly don't take up that much slack), so either there is something
wrong with the "mf" program, or there is some memory in my machine that is not
working.  Does anybody have any advice on testing this out (short of finding a
good memory-testing routine)?  I do not yet have any compilers.

			thanks,

									JJMG

gordan@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta) (11/30/86)

-----------------
There is still another limitation on number of files...
Namely, on a floppy disk, the root directory cannot have more than
112 files in it...

This is calculated as follows:  by default 7 sectors are allocated for
root directory info on a floppy disk, where a sector is 512 bytes...
each directory entry takes up 32 bytes.  7 * 512 / 32 = 112 files.
I haven't actually tested this limit out in practice, but I think my
arithmetic is correct.  Of course, more files could be put in folders
and the like...

Gordan Palameta    Usenet:  !seismo!mnetor!genat!maccs!gordan

apratt@atari.UUcp (Allan Pratt) (12/01/86)

The Desktop can't handle more than 400 (or so) files in ALL open
windows put together.  I'm not sure about imagen!turner's 256-file
limit in one window, but I am sure that the root directory of each
device is of limited size, and subdirectories are NOT limited.  If
there is such a limit, it is imposed by the desktop, not the OS, so
if you abandon the desktop (in favor of a CLI-type shell) you will not
find most of these limits.

The 40-folder limit stands.  The rumors that it's gone are greatly
exaggerated.  You can sometimes create more than that, but this limit
is like a loaded gun: just point and click.