[comp.sys.atari.st] Info-Atari16 Digest V86 #35

Info-Atari16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU (Info-Atari16 Digest) (12/05/86)

Info-Atari16 Digest   Thursday, December  4, 1986   Volume 86 : Issue 35

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                        Re: 1040 memory usage
                           Terminal lockup
            Re: Public Domain Midi Software (attn: Pixar)
                    uuencode, a solution for some?
                  Availability of Atari SX212 Modem?
                            re: FTP format
                       Re: Re: PD dungeon game?
                        Re: 1040 memory usage
                                 Vix
                   GDOS being selled by Data Becker
                        Quitting ST Music Box
                            ROM port specs
                         oss personal prolog

Date: 3 Dec 86 17:24:54 GMT
From: atwell@UTAH-CS.ARPA  (Bart L. Atwell)
Subject: Re: 1040 memory usage
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I've noticed that in using the Intersect Ramdisk posted here, memory
seems to decrease as the time since you booted increases.  More specifically,
if you allocate the ramdisk, do some work, deallocate the ramdisk (possible
with Intersect), do some more work, then try to allocate a new ramdisk, you
don't have as much memory to allocate.  Are the "work" tasks somehow not
deallocating memory when they terminate or is the free memory part of the
ramdisk not working?  Also, how is the amount of free memory determined?
Does TOS use a TPA (Transient Program Area from CP/M jargon) or is there
some other method of allocating memory?

Bart
atwell@utah-cs.arpa

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 4 Dec 86 00:06 N
From:        <DRIEHUIS%HLERUL55.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject:  Terminal lockup
To:  info-atari16@su-score.arpa

I have experienced the infamous Uniterm lockup myself, and found a
little 'fix' that at least allows you to save your RamDisk...  It is
quite a nasty problem, which is caused by a control/s received
unexpectedly from the host.  The remedy is simple: turn of all flow
control with the RS232 accessory.

I don't know why terminal emulators allow control/s from the host in the
first place: if an application wants you to keep quiet, it should send
an escape sequence to lock the keyboard, which can be undone by the user
in case of emergency by resetting the terminal (i.e.  reloading the
configuration file in most emulators).  For starters, a spurious
keyboard lock escape sequence isn't as common in binary files as is a
control/s.

You should not set flow control back on, because when I did so the line
was locked forever.

Hope this helps somebody out...
                                            - Bert Driehuis.

------------------------------

Date: 3 Dec 86 19:47:27 GMT
From: plx!ed@sun.com  (Ed Chaban)
Subject: Re: Public Domain Midi Software (attn: Pixar)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article: <1390@hoptoad.uucp> Mike Farren Writes:

> C'mon, guys...  the original message here was from a person who was trying
> to contact a person at Pixar, not the company.  As far as I know, Pixar
> (the company) doesn't deal in PD MIDI software.

You are'nt by chance referring to Music Droid by the Droid Works are you?
BTW, it runs on a Sun, not an ST like DX-Droid (no affiliation with Lucasfilm)
ed-

					    _____O_____
  Ed Chaban   				   /___________\
  Plexus Computers Inc.    		   |  _  |  _  |
  Phone: (408) 843-2226			   | |_| | |_| |
  Net: sun!plx!ed			   |  _  |  _  |
   					   | |_| | |_| |
   					   |  _  |  _  |
   					   | |_| | |_| |
       "Have a Jelly Baby?" 		   |     |     |
   		-The Doctor		   |_____|_____|

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  3 Dec 86 17:47:56 PST
From: <MHD@slacvm.bitnet>
To: INFO-ATARI16@score.stanford.edu
Subject:  uuencode, a solution for some?

Here goes trying to post to the net for the first time.

Like others, I had little success at first in decoding the uuencoded
files on this net.  After looking closely at the files I noticed that
the tilde character (~) was present when it should not have been.  Upon
further inspection I found that the carat character (^) was missing in
all files.  I tried a global change of tilde to carat and had no further
trouble

Perhaps many others have been screwed up in the same way by IBM machines
in the net.  Perhaps at other sites just one other character is screwed
up.  Give it a try, preferably do it first on a .ARC file where deARCing
will show errors on the CRC checks.

The only characters that should be in the uuencoded files are: space( )
through underline(_), ascii 20 through 5F.  All of these should be
present in a file of reasonable length.

Note:  The tilde and carat may get screwed up in this file.  They are
ascii 7E and 5E respectivly.

------------------------------

Date: 3 Dec 86 20:22:04 GMT
From: voder!kevin@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (The Last Bugfighter)
Subject: Availability of Atari SX212 Modem?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

So the Atari SX212 was shown at Comdex, but showing and availability are two
different things.  Anyword on when it will actually be shipped?  Last I read
was 'late fall' which would seem to be right about....now.

Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,pyramid,nsc}!voder!kevin

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 86 01:03:37 EST
From: grunau%husc4@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
To: Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.edu
Subject: re: FTP format

I am having problems FTP-ing binaries (including ARC-ed files) intact to this
host (a VAX/UNIX);  I have tried setting the file type to binary, image, and
tenex (I think binary and image are the same thing anyway).  I have even
tried ASCII.  The only thing left is EBCDIC, which I consider an unlikely
choice for a DEC-20.  Do you have any advice?  The files do arrive (I have
been trying to get hold of LARN.ARC, most recently, and it's getting here,
all 100+K of it), but once they are downloaded (via kermit, set to binary
mode) to my machine, ARC considers them trashed.  I have never had any trouble
with any other ARC-ed files (are you using a different version of ARC,
perhaps, than that which is commonly available for the ST?).  I am using
anonymous FTP, by the way (not that that is relevant).  Perhaps the best
bet is to use Email?  I would appreciate any help on this matter.

		thank you,

						Justin J. M. Grunau

[ The code stored on Score is in message file format, rather than
  a real ARC format.  Also, it is all UUENCODED.  To get a file,
  FTP it to your machine using TEXT mode (nominally the default),
  edit the file to remove mail headers and text descriptions,
  UUDECODE it, and then download it using Binary mode.  (This
  minimized download time - you can also UUDECODE it AFTER you
  download it, if your host doesn't have UUDECODE.)   --BillW ]

------------------------------

Date: 4 Dec 86 05:19:46 GMT
From: mnetor!utcs!pete@seismo.css.gov  (Peter Santangeli)
Subject: Re: Re: PD dungeon game?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <117900005@iuvax> franco@iuvax.indiana.EDU writes:
>HACK (ported by Rodney Black) and LARN run on mono.

	If Someone would be so kind to send me a copy of either of these
programs, I would be very much appreciative!

					Thanks a whole bunch in advance!
						Pete Santangeli
						pete@utcs
						psantangeli on BIX

[ LARN has been submitted and should be posted soon.  I'm trying
  to get it cut into somewhat smaller pieces...		--BillW ]

------------------------------

Date: 3 Dec 86 16:43:42 GMT
From: braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (braner)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

TOS/GEM do allocate various buffers in RAM. To start with, there's
the 32K video RAM.  Then there's a certain amount at low RAM (I think about
64K, but I forget) (The screen is at the very high end of RAM).  900K
sounds just fine.   I rarely have problems with lack of RAM.  If you cannot
allocate a 32K buffer from the ONLY running program there is some other
problem:  Your RAMdisk is wacky, or some program you ran before has
fragmented RAM.  For example: some programs install themselves in RAM
and stay resident.  Suppose you run a CLI which takes up 50K, then
invoke such a stay-resident thing from the CLI.  It installs ABOVE the CLI,
and stays there even after you quit from the CLI to the desktop!  Next time
you invoke a big program, it has no choice but to run from above the
resident utility!  Moral: install all your resident utilities from
the auto folder!

- Moshe Braner

------------------------------

Date:     Thu,  4 Dec 86  12:06:23 EST
From:  mek%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject:  Vix
To:  Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.EDU

What is VIX?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Dec 86 19:05:05 GMT
To:  info-atari16@su-score.ARPA
From:  K538915%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Return-Receipt-To: K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET
Subject: GDOS being selled by Data Becker

This is just to see if anybody reacts from Atari or DR! Data Becker
Germany (the company which actually wrote the Abacus books)is selling
for DM 30.- (~$15) a disk with following programs on it:

              - GDOS2.PRG : a patched version of GDOS, probably
                            the version distributed with EASY-DRAW
              - RCS.PRG  :  a patched version of RCS 1.4
              - SHELL.ACC : a shell accessory (PD as far as I could
                            tell from the docs)

Questions: 1. did Data Becker really get the licences to sell these programs?
           2. if the anwser to 1. is yes, why is Atari allowing DB to rip off
              people with a hardly functional version of GDOS, when they have
              a finished, working version with which Atari could earn money?

           Simon Poole
           K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 86 00:45:59 est
From: Eric Terrell <terrell@ohio-state.ARPA>
To: info-atari16@su-score.arpa
Subject: Quitting ST Music Box

Is there any way to quit ST Music Box other than pushing
the reset button?  Nowhere in the manual is there any
information about quitting the program...

My initial impressions of this program are rather negative.
With a 520ST, one must remove almost all desk accessories
to run the program (only one very small desk accessory can
be installed).  The effect of accidentals does not last for
the remainder of a measure, there is no way to change the
waveform or sound when using the built-in sound synthesizer, etc.

terrell

------------------------------

From: mcvax!lasso!didier@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date: Thu Dec  4 16:49:12 GMT+1:00 1986
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject:  ROM port specs

 I am building an audio sampler which I intend to plug into the ROM port.
The problem is I can't figure out what kind of connector Atari has used, since
the measured distance between leads is 2 millimeters, and standard connectors
all use 1/10" steps (2.54mm). So ?
Also, I was wondering how much current I can pull out from the +5V outlet ?

Didier Giralt                             LAAS-CNRS
                                          7 av du Colonel Roche
...!seismo!mcvax!inria!lasso!didier       31077 Toulouse Cedex
                                          France

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 86 15:37:55 est
From: Eric Terrell <terrell@ohio-state.ARPA>
To: info-atari16@su-score.arpa
Subject: oss personal prolog

prolog:

Have you seen the product advertised or really on the shelves?

I contacted several dealers about a month ago, and a couple of them
said that oss would never release the project (it was "shelved").

I would be very interested in the product if it does exist!

Terrell

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
-------