[comp.sys.atari.st] advertised dev kit in computer shopper

afo@s.cc.purdue.edu (Alan Davis) (12/06/86)

In some previous article Rich Andrews writes:
>	I have just received my December issue of the 'Computer
>Shopper' and have found some interesting ads in the classified section.
>I quote from page 378.
>
>            "Atari 520ST/1040ST Development kit.  Includes
>            "C" compiler, assembler, linker, editor, util-
>            ities, and ICON/RCS programs.  $49.95  Patrick
>            Eberhart, PO Box 280151, Tampa, FL 33682."

I just called this guy (at 813-932-9472) and I got some comments:

>	I think that these ads raise some valid questions.
Yes it does.

>        1) Is Atari selling consumer versions of the development kit?
NO THEY ARE NOT!!!!!!!!!! When I asked if the kit was still for sale he said
yes and no.  (huh??????????) He told me that the documentation included was
the ABACUS book and that I would have to copy some of the programs from the
book onto the disk. He said that it did include a C compiler but he didn't
want to say much.

>        2)  Are these people selling pirated versions of the development kit?
I thoroughly believe so. Shouldn't Atari have all of the registered
developers in their files?? If so, this guy could be traced. And if he is
not registered, then they can throw the book at him (no pun intended).

>        3)  Is this a stripped down version of the $300 dev. kit?

apparently -- stripped down and ripped off!

>        4)  What is the real story here?  Any comments?
The real story is that this guy is trying to make a fast buck. He should be
put out of business. Have him drawn and quartered... :-) Neil, care to check
on this?

Alan Davis
Purdue University Computing Center

USENET:   {seismo, decvax, ucbvax, ihnp4}!pur-ee!s.cc!afo
BITNET: ADAVIS@PURCCVM

Disclaimer: My boss has opinions too but I can't express them in public.
Therefore, I thought up my opinions all by myself.