[comp.sys.atari.st] Magic sac problem

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) (12/01/86)

[]

	I've been having a problem with the Magic Sac that I'd like
to get comments on..  Because the system files on a mac disk (for the
AT, in MAGIC format) take up a lot of space on the disk, I want to boot
with a MAGIC format disk containing the system files, and then switch
to another disk which has my applications.  I can boot from the first
disk alright, and run applications off it, but then I can't get the
Magic Sac to recognize the next disk I put in after ejecting the boot
disk.  eg, I do
		a)  Run magic.prg and put in a mac disk and boot off
			it.
		b)  Eject the disk.
		c)  Put in another disk which has my applications and
		    hope the Sac will take it (I've tried pressing F1).
		d)  [..this stuff is pretty much unprintable..]

	If anyone else has encountered this, or gotten around it,
please let me know (mail or post article).   Thanks in advance,

						-ravi

				{seismo, ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}!mcnc!ravi

pete@utcs.UUCP (12/02/86)

In article <1836@alvin.mcnc.UUCP> ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) writes:

>[]
>
>	I've been having a problem with the Magic Sac that I'd like
>to get comments on..
>		a)  Run magic.prg and put in a mac disk and boot off
>			it.
>		b)  Eject the disk.
>		c)  Put in another disk which has my applications and
>		    hope the Sac will take it (I've tried pressing F1).
>		d)  [..this stuff is pretty much unprintable..]

	The Macintosh does not work like most other microcomputers when dealing
with ejecting disks. Since the Mac keeps a lot of information about the system
on the disk apart from the directory, it only lets you eject a disk THROUGH
SOFTWARE. i.e., in order to eject a disk, you must:
	1) either choose the "EJECT" option from the finder's menu's, or
	   type <Ctrl><e>.
	2) The magic sac will respond by displaying a flashing "A" in the upper
	   right corner of the screen. At this point you may eject the actual
	   diskette.
	3) Insert the other diskette. The ST/MagicSac will now read in the
	   directory and desktop information from the new diskette.

							Pete Santangeli
							pete@utcsscb@utcs
							psantangeli on BIX

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) (12/03/86)

In article <1986Dec1.212909.18049@utcs.uucp> pete@utcs.UUCP (Peter Santangeli) writes:
>In article <1836@alvin.mcnc.UUCP> ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) writes:
>>		a)  Run magic.prg and put in a mac disk with system
>>                  files and boot off it.
>>		b)  Eject the disk.
>>		c)  Put in another disk which has my applications and
>>		    hope the Sac will take it (I've tried pressing F1).
>
> ....it only lets you eject a disk THROUGH SOFTWARE. i.e., you must:...
>	1) either choose the "EJECT" option from the finder's menu's, or
>	   type <Ctrl><e>.
>	2) The magic sac will respond by displaying a flashing "A" in the upper
>	   right corner of the screen. At this point you may eject the actual
>	   diskette.
>	3) Insert the other diskette. The ST/MagicSac will now read in the
>	   directory and desktop information from the new diskette.
>							Pete Santangeli

	But but but but (Baaaawwwwll).... (sniff).   It doesn't do that!
I've used Macs, and that's what I expected, but what I see it
	1)  I eject the disk by choosing the EJECT option in the finder.
	2)  "A" flashes, I push the button and get the disk out; the icon
	     becomes dim.
	3)  I put in a new disk: The (old) icon becomes bright again.. the
	    %$#^$%# thing just assumes that I put the ejected disk back in,
            and if I'm using the motivator, cheerfully rewrites all 400K
	    or whatever back onto the disk.  Nice, but I didn't get the
	    Sac to be a magic-format duplicator!

All help will be greatly appreciated; I'm desperate now. Thanks Pete,

								-ravi

dwyer@inmet.UUCP (12/03/86)

Where can one obtain a "Magic Sac"?

An electronic or physical mail address should suffice.

thanks

matt

uucp:       {bellcore,harvard!ima,ihnp4}!inmet!dwyer
internet:   ima!inmet!dwyer@CCA-UNIX.ARPA

pete@utcs.UUCP (12/06/86)

In article <1845@alvin.mcnc.UUCP> ravi@alvin.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) writes:
>In article <1986Dec1.212909.18049@utcs.uucp> pete@utcs.UUCP (Peter Santangeli) writes:
>>In article <1836@alvin.mcnc.UUCP> ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) writes:
>>>		a)  Run magic.prg and put in a mac disk with system
>>>                  files and boot off it.
>>>		b)  Eject the disk.
>>>		c)  Put in another disk which has my applications and
>>>		    hope the Sac will take it (I've tried pressing F1).
>>
>> ....it only lets you eject a disk THROUGH SOFTWARE. i.e., you must:...
>>	1) either choose the "EJECT" option from the finder's menu's, or
>>	   type <Ctrl><e>.
>>	2) The magic sac will respond by displaying a flashing "A" in the upper
>>	   right corner of the screen. At this point you may eject the actual
>>	   diskette.
>>	3) Insert the other diskette. The ST/MagicSac will now read in the
>>	   directory and desktop information from the new diskette.
>>							Pete Santangeli
>
>	But but but but (Baaaawwwwll).... (sniff).   It doesn't do that!
>I've used Macs, and that's what I expected, but what I see it
>	1)  I eject the disk by choosing the EJECT option in the finder.
>	2)  "A" flashes, I push the button and get the disk out; the icon
>	     becomes dim.
>	3)  I put in a new disk: The (old) icon becomes bright again.. the
>	    %$#^$%# thing just assumes that I put the ejected disk back in,
>            and if I'm using the motivator, cheerfully rewrites all 400K
>	    or whatever back onto the disk.  Nice, but I didn't get the
>	    Sac to be a magic-format duplicator!
>
>All help will be greatly appreciated; I'm desperate now. Thanks Pete,
>
>								-ravi

	Ravi,
	That is really wierd to say the least. I have been using the cartridge
for about 2 months now without problems. Which version of the software are you
currently using? I am using Version 2.0. I have talked to Dave Small in the
past, and the only problem involving the disk drives still at large according
to him is a duplication of write protect on drive 1 to drive 2. Maybe your
driver is flawed.
						Pete