[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari and BREAKOUT.ACC

moore@NCSC.ARPA (Moore) (12/05/86)

This situation is getting out of hand:  How can you tell if the fantastic new
piece of software you picked up off an RBBS is commercial or public domain?
You can't, unless you get the source along with it (know what that will do to
your long distance phone bill???).  And don't give me that line about a copy-
right notice showing on the screen:  I downloaded a copy of BREAKOUT from some
(I'll never tell) BBS, and there ain't no copyright notice on it!

Regardless of the illegalities involved in posting something that's copyrighted
even if you don't know that is the case, netters need to keep this in perspec-
tive:  do you really believe the guy would have posted the thing if he knew it
was copyrighted?  The *only* reason I haven't posted DB Master One, which I got
from a "Public Domain" BBS, is because I can't get a straight (or at least,
consistent) answer on if it is pd or not.

I don't mean the following as a jab at Neil, or anyone else, because I don't
know whose job it is to police the net (certainly not Neil's), if it is
anyone's; it should be said, though, that a couple of people (myself included)
posted *several* queries to the net concerning BREAKOUT, well before BREAKOUT
itself was posted; wasn't that the time to shout "illegal!", rather than after
the thing had been posted?

Unfortunately I can't offer any solutions for the paranoia that is so prevalent
these days concerning software copying; but this is getting ridiculous.

Jim
Moore@NCSC.arpa
(i've got heaps of pd s/w on my host, but it might not *really* be pd, so you
 can't have it, nyahh!!)

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (12/06/86)

In article <8612051455.AA02099@ncsc.ARPA> moore@NCSC.ARPA (Moore) writes:

>This situation is getting out of hand:  How can you tell if the fantastic new

     (Huh?  Out of hand.  I don't think things are that bad.)

>piece of software you picked up off an RBBS is commercial or public domain?

     Presume it's not public domain unless it says so.  To a certain extent
copyright notice errors in the US can be corrected and in the *rest of the
world* (or at least a substantial enough part of it) copyright notices are
NOT necessary at all.  Check the list of signatories on the Berne Convention.

>You can't, unless you get the source along with it (know what that will do to
>your long distance phone bill???).  And don't give me that line about a copy-
>right notice showing on the screen:  I downloaded a copy of BREAKOUT from some

     It would be nice if programmers learned at least to embed copyright notices
and public domain declarations in the code.

>(I'll never tell) BBS, and there ain't no copyright notice on it!
>
>Regardless of the illegalities involved in posting something that's copyrighted
>even if you don't know that is the case, netters need to keep this in perspec-
>tive:  do you really believe the guy would have posted the thing if he knew it
>was copyrighted?  The *only* reason I haven't posted DB Master One, which I got
>from a "Public Domain" BBS, is because I can't get a straight (or at least,
>consistent) answer on if it is pd or not.
>
>I don't mean the following as a jab at Neil, or anyone else, because I don't
>know whose job it is to police the net (certainly not Neil's), if it is
>anyone's; it should be said, though, that a couple of people (myself included)
>posted *several* queries to the net concerning BREAKOUT, well before BREAKOUT

     Whose job is it to police the Net?  All of us.  Otherwise we can expect
to find real "policing" of the Net.  But hey, I don't read every message on
the Net and I don't even read all the postings in the 'comp.sys.atari.st'
postings.  It's possible that Neil missed it too.  I certainly never read
any of the queries about the status of Breakout.  I found out about it when
I posted a query about its status on BIX.

>itself was posted; wasn't that the time to shout "illegal!", rather than after
>the thing had been posted?
>
>Unfortunately I can't offer any solutions for the paranoia that is so prevalent
>these days concerning software copying; but this is getting ridiculous.

     Paranoia?  Where?

>Jim
>Moore@NCSC.arpa
>(i've got heaps of pd s/w on my host, but it might not *really* be pd, so you
> can't have it, nyahh!!)

     (Hmm.  Don't sound like paranoia to me.  Sounds more like ... Oh forget
it. :-)

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (12/08/86)

In article <8612051455.AA02099@ncsc.ARPA>, moore@NCSC.ARPA (Moore) writes:

> The *only* reason I haven't posted DB Master One, which I got
> from a "Public Domain" BBS, is because I can't get a straight (or at least,
> consistent) answer on if it is pd or not.

DB Master One is a copyright program.  In fact, your local computer dealer
should have copies of it in boxes.  Just because we put something in the box
with the computer last Xmas, people seem to think it's public domain.

Regarding the brouhaha over BREAKOUT.ACC, I certainly didn't mean to cause
an uproar.  It is not PD, we would like to do something with it someday, but
we are well aware that it has been floating around for some time.  We'd like
to keep it under control, that's all.
--
--->Neil @ Atari

...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"Loose chips sink ships."