[comp.sys.atari.st] Msg of Friday, 12 December 1986 10:26-EST

COMSAT@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU (Communications Satellite) (12/13/86)

FAILED: TETHER at MITLNS.MIT.EDU; I gave up on sending this after 31 "temporary" errors.
 Failed message follows:
-------
Date: Thu 11 Dec 86 16:18:31 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V86 #45
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.EDU>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;

Info-Atari16 Digest   Thursday, December 11, 1986   Volume 86 : Issue 45

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                         Re: PD dungeon game?
               Re: Downloading problems & software req
                          Re: What is GDOS?
                      Re: A couple of questions
                             Re: GEM bugs
             Speculation on why atari is so quiet lately
                             Re: GEM bugs
                        gem and "applications"
                           Re: IBM emulator
                             Re: GEM bugs
                         RE: monochrome games
                            Business Week
                           Memory Expansion
                        Bibliography Manager?
                           RE Breakout.Acc

Date: 6 Dec 86 19:50:11 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!reading!gordon@seismo.css.gov  (Simon Gordon)
Subject: Re: PD dungeon game?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <117900005@iuvax> franco@iuvax.indiana.EDU writes:

>HACK (ported by Rodney Black) and LARN run on mono.

I've got Hack (can copy to any near people but can't put over net)
Anyone got LARN ?

[ It was just posted. (After this message was sent, but before it
  was digestified)		--BillW ]

------------------------------

Date: 6 Dec 86 20:08:24 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!reading!gordon@seismo.css.gov  (Simon Gordon)
Subject: Re: Downloading problems & software req
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <117900002@iuvax> franco@iuvax.indiana.EDU writes:

>I think your best bet for the moment is to send for the STarter Kit.
>As was mentioned in a recent posting this contains lots of utilities
>plus a development system (in FORTH) plus HACK.  For a copy send
>five disks formatted single sided, SASE, packing material to

If anyone in England in the Reading area is interested in this type of PD stuff
I've got most of it, so visit me (sorry, as a university student I don't have
time to play postman pat) with some disks (and any bits you have) and I'll
be pleased to copy it over for you.

Address is (university term time only) -

S. J. Gordon
328 Sibly Hall
Redhatch Drive
Earley
Reading
RG6 2QW

------------------------------

Date: 7 Dec 86 22:47:57 GMT
From: zen!zooey.Berkeley.EDU!c160-bv@cad.Berkeley.EDU  (Warner Young)
Subject: Re: What is GDOS?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

	GDOS is the part of GEM that handles interfacing with other devices.
At present, the only "device" that GEM really handles is the screen.  GDOS
allows the use of fonts (we've all been waiting for proportional fonts) on
the ST (check the ad in Newsweek, it shows Atari Write, with different fonts
on it), more than one font at a time.  Also, GDOS is supposed to handle
the translation of screen representations of objects to the format appropriate
to whatever output device you want to use, so that all you have to do, as a
programmer, is write some commands to a metafile, and GDOS uses these and
interprets them to produce the correct output on the desired device.
	Actually, I still haven't seen GDOS, and all this is based on infor-
mation I found in STart and in the Dev Kit.  If I've made any mistakes, please
don't hesitate to correct me.

					Warner Young

"I am not affiliated with Atari Corp, Microsoft, or any other money-making
company."

------------------------------

Date: 7 Dec 86 15:12:40 GMT
From: ritcv!rocksvax!rocksanne!sunybcs!leo@rochester.arpa  (Leo Wilson)
Subject: Re: A couple of questions
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I had this problem, too, and this is what I did to correct it:

	1: Set the system time to something BEFORE the ST epoch.
	2: Touch all the lib files
	3: reset the system time to the epoch or the real thing

This allows you to forget to set the time and still be able to work.
--
Leo E. Wilson(leo@buffalo.csnet)	Niagara Paper Company
364 West Delavan Avenue			99 Bud-Mil Drive

------------------------------

Date: 7 Dec 86 22:12:43 GMT
From: ames!rutgers!husc6!husc4!grunau_b@cad.Berkeley.EDU  (justin grunau)
Subject: Re: GEM bugs
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Well, I can confirm that it was not the .RSC file of the TI desk accessory
that was causing one of those bugs I mentioned in an earlier posting (the
bug that causes a click on the "close" gadget of a GEM window to merely
highlight the gadget as though it were selecting an icon instead of performing
the close) -- I got it today, after only running one program (megaroids).

Luckily, this particular bug doesn't cause the system to crash and tends to
go away fairly quickly (after you have clicked on the darn gadget enough times)
so I guess it's not particularly destructive, except I am getting the feeling
that there are all sorts of potential memory problems floating around (probably
unreleased mallocs and so on) which could cause serious problems ...  it does
give me a kind of feeling of impending doom whenever I use the system nowadays.

									JJMG

------------------------------

Date: 7 Dec 86 19:58:43 GMT
From: ptsfa!varian!vaxwaller!cw@lll-lcc.arpa  (Carl Weidling)
Subject: Speculation on why atari is so quiet lately
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Several people have commented on atari being quiet lately.  Maybe it has to
do with them going public.  I've heard that when a company goes public, for
the first few months they are in a kind of probation, with the FCC or SEC or
somebody like that watching them to make sure they don't do anything to
artificially manipulate the price of their stock.
-Regards,
Carl Weidling

--
Cleave yourself to logodaedaly and you cleave yourself from clarity.
	-from "How to Write Good", author's name forgotten.

------------------------------

Date: 8 Dec 86 04:52:11 GMT
From: zen!zooey.Berkeley.EDU!c160-bv@cad.Berkeley.EDU  (Warner Young)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <839@husc6.UUCP> grunau_b@husc4.UUCP (justin grunau) writes:

>Well, I can confirm that it was not the .RSC file of the TI desk accessory
>highlight the gadget as though it were selecting an icon instead of performing
>the close) -- I got it today, after only running one program (megaroids).

	I don't know about the TI accessory, since I haven't seen it, but
I don't see why Megaroids would cause this problem.  There does seem to be
a bug with GEM that causes it to think that the left button is depressed, even
after you let go.  That might be your problem.  It's happened to me before,
and it usually only takes one click to remove the problem.

>Luckily, this particular bug doesn't cause the system to crash and tends to
>go away fairly quickly (after you have clicked on the darn gadget enough times)
>so I guess it's not particularly destructive, except I am getting the feeling
>that there are all sorts of potential memory problems floating around (probably
>unreleased mallocs and so on) which could cause serious problems ...  it does
>give me a kind of feeling of impending doom whenever I use the system nowadays.

	I use my system fairly often, and I hardly ever have problems like
these.  Are you sure it isn't your computer itself?

					Warner Young - WHY

"I am not affiliated with any money-making enterprise, though I wouldn't
mind being so associated."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Dec 86 22:31:06 est
From: drs@bnl.ARPA (David R. Stampf)
To: info-atari16@su-score.ARPA
Subject: gem and "applications"

I've recently started getting involved in the programming game with the atari
and have a couple of questions that I haven't seen kicked around on the net.
(Maybe there should be a gem.os group, but lacking that ... )

All of the documentation I can find on GEM has a number of "bindings" for
the application manager - appl_init supposedly announces the current program
to the manager, which is ok, but there are also bindings called appl_read,
appl_write, and appl_find which are supposed to allow 2 applications to
find each other and communicate.  Is this for real, or a possible future
extension?

The documentation I have also says that appl_init fills in an array of data,
one element of which is  the most applications that AES can support
concurrently.  The value I find there is one, leading me to believe that the
other appl_xxx functions are wishful thinking.

Is there another GEM on the way that will allow more than one application
to run?  If so, any guesses as to when it will be out?

	< dave stampf

------------------------------

Date: 8 Dec 86 06:25:51 GMT
From: braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (braner)
Subject: Re: IBM emulator
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]

In case anybody who really knows might answer:

	Will the IBM emulator work with the 3.5" disk, and be available
	WITHOUT the 5" drive? (Since the IBM world is about to shift to
	3.5", why get a 5" drive?!?)

	Will it have an 8087 or a socket for it?  (If it doesn't, it's
	absolutely of no use for me!)

	How much memory will it have?  Will that be easily upgradeable?

	Will it use an 8088, 8086, 80186, 80286, or what?

Hopefully these questions (as opposed to "when and how much") are
answerable...

- Moshe Braner

------------------------------

Date: 8 Dec 86 16:02:28 GMT
From: ames!rutgers!husc6!husc4!grunau_b@cad.Berkeley.EDU  (justin grunau)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Yes, well, I can't see why megaroids would cause the problems I have
mentioned, either, which is why I made a point of saying that the only
thing I had done before the error occured was to play megaroids --
indicating to me that the problem is something in GEM or the OS, and
not in megaroids.

BTW, if it is so that GEM sometimes has trouble detecting that the
left button has been released, even so I really can't see why this
would have any connection with the bug I have mentioned: the "close"
gadget in a GEM window just hilights as though it was an icon being
selected, and it does it immediately. Further- more, it unhilights
immediately if you click on it a second time.  And it does this
immediately.  None of these things seem to have anything to do with
the left button being detected as being always down.

The same thing goes with the other bug that makes everything in the
GEM window act like one of the options of the pop-down menu (i.e.
whenever you move the mouse over it -- without the button depressed,
even), the icons/filenames become hilighted for as long as you are
over them, just like the menu options.  (the effect is just like
running IBM's TopView, for those of you who might have seen that).  If
GEM thought my left button was depressed, then moving the mouse around
would drag the first icon I moved over: not just hilight and dehilight
them all to no other effect (except to crash the system after about a
minute).

Of course, the reason I reported these things is to find out whether
anybody else has seen them, in the attempt to discover whether it
could be a "problem with my computer" (though it is hard to see what
it would be).

									JJMG

   .........seismo!husc6!husc4!grunau_b (or ..!grunau)
or ...decvax!ihnp4!husc6! ...

------------------------------

Date:     Mon,  8 Dec 86  19:51:10 EST
From:  MCOHAN%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Michael Cohan, U of
Subject:  RE: monochrome games
To:  info-atari16@su-score.arpa

Eric Terrell <terrell@ohio-state.ARPA> writes:

> Someone on the net said that starglider ran on mono systems.  I tried to
> boot a dealer's copy, and got bomb characters.

I have Starglider, and it works perfectly in monochrome.  Your
dealer must have had a bad disk (or maybe an older version??)

> Flight Simulator is reported to say color or mono on the box, but allegedly
> only works on color systems.

The currently shipped version is color only.  However, a friend
of mine called Sublogic, and was told that a monochrome version
will ship in January.

> The krabat chess game and the puzzle game that I posted only work on mono
> systems.  Much of the European software is like this.

In Europe, >80% of systems sold are monochrome, precisely the
reverse of the U.S.

MCOHAN%UMASS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA           MCOHAN@UMASS.BITNET
MIKECOHAN on Delphi

------------------------------

Date:     Mon,  8 Dec 86  19:52:23 EST
From:  MCOHAN%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Michael Cohan, U of
Subject:  Business Week
To:  info-atari16@su-score.arpa

Atari watchers should note the rather favorable article on Atari
Corp. that appears in the December 15th issue of Business Week.

MCOHAN%UMASS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA           MCOHAN@UMASS.BITNET
MIKECOHAN on Delphi

Indecision is the basis of flexibility.

------------------------------

Date:  Mon, 8 Dec 86 22:23 EST
From:  Bill Pase <Pase@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>
Subject:  Memory Expansion
To:  info-atari16@SU-SCORE.ARPA

Has any had experience with the Thoughtspace memory expansion for the
520ST?  I'm currently debating whether to upgrade my 520 to 1meg or to
trade up to a 1040, so any opions would be welcome.  Is there any word
on when the new machines will be avaliable form Atari, ie 2 and 4 meg?
/bill

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 8 Dec 1986 14:03 CST
From:           a.d. jensen  <UD040164%NDSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject:      Bibliography Manager?
To:  <INFO-ATARI16@SU-SCORE.ARPA>

A brief problem:

I need something which will allow me to type in about 100+ bibliographical
entries, and then sort them alphabetically, and then print them out _in a
format of my choosing_ (that's the important part...).

This seems to be something that a data base would do exceptionally well,
but DB Master One will not print them out in any way but the four choices
given -- I don't need columns, and one entry per page is ridiculous.  I
would prefer this program be public domain, but would be willing to part
with a _few_ bucks.  Winner gets a free recommendation in my thesis (on
the evolution of the microcomputer in research).  Bonus points if it lets
me printout the underlining of the book or journal title.

thanks,
a.d. jensen
Department of Geography
University of North Dakota

<UD040164%NDSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Dec 86 05:10:19 GMT
To:  info-atari16@su-score.ARPA
From:  K538915%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Return-Receipt-To: K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET
Subject: RE Breakout.Acc

As  far as I can remember Breakout.Acc was sold in Europe about a year ago
(it was the first 'game' available)....and wasn't even cheap ($30-$50)! So
much for an 'unfinished product' (I wonder if there are any legal implications
there, like.......).

                    Simon Poole
                    K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

PS All this trouble for a game with POTA quality (Play Once and Throw Away)

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
-------