[comp.sys.atari.st] copyright and BREAKOUT.ACC

ljdickey@water.UUCP (12/10/86)

Almost every books I own (hundreds) has some statement about the copyright
near the front of the book.  There are exceptions.  (One says, charmingly,
that anyone can copy any part of the book they want to.)  There are
conventions about where the copyright notice should be and what it should
look like.

I think that according to the copyright convention used in the United States
an author who circulates his book without proper copyright notice no longer
has any claim to copyright.

Now, I have a copy of something called "BREAKOUT.ACC".  As far as I can see,
in the copy that I have, there is no copyright notice. Without that notice,
should I feel an obligation not to copy it?  I think not.

I would guess that the owners of BREAKOUT.ACC long ago lost their legal
claim to any protection that copyright might imply under US copyright law.
Of course, they might still have the source code, and could modify
it in ways that enhance its value, and perhaps could establish some
claim to copyright on the modified code.

ljdickey@water.UUCP (12/10/86)

Almost every book I own has some statement about copyright near the
front of the book.  (There are curious anomalies:  one says,
charmingly, that anyone can copy any part of the book they want to.)
There are conventions about where the copyright notice should be and
what it should look like.

I think that according to the copyright convention used in the United
States an author who circulates his book without proper copyright
notice no longer has any claim to copyright.

Now, regarding "BREAKOUT.ACC",  as far as I can see, in the copy that I
have, there is no copyright notice.  Without that notice, should I feel
an obligation not to copy it?  I think not.

I think that the owners of BREAKOUT.ACC long ago lost whatever legal
claim they had to any protection that copyright might imply under US
law.  Of course, they might still have the source code, and could
modify it in ways that enhance its value, and perhaps could still make
some claim on the modified code.

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (12/12/86)

In article <675@water.UUCP>, ljdickey@water.UUCP (Lee Dickey) writes:
> Almost every book I own has some statement about copyright near the
> front of the book.
>
> I think that according to the copyright convention used in the United
> States an author who circulates his book without proper copyright
> notice no longer has any claim to copyright.
>
> Now, regarding "BREAKOUT.ACC",  as far as I can see, in the copy that I
> have, there is no copyright notice.  Without that notice, should I feel
> an obligation not to copy it?  I think not.
>
> I think that the owners of BREAKOUT.ACC long ago lost whatever legal
> claim they had to any protection that copyright might imply under US
> law.

Once again, a posting from someone speculating on US Copyright Law.  This
set of laws changed sometime within the past ten years to afford much more
protection to the originators of a work.  Specifically, a work retains
copyright even without an explicit notice.  The notice and subsequent
registration permits the copyright holder to sue for damages.  Without this,
a copyright holder can still prohibit others from distributing the work.

These days, for a work to go into the public domain it needs to be
explicitely placed there.  The benefit of the doubt goes in favor of the
copyright holder.

Other changes in the law include a substantial lengthening of the time
period for copyright protection.

Please, people, before making any rash assumptions about the law, read one
of the many books available on the subject.

PS: The issue at hand is not specifically any one program, simply the wealth
of misinformation on the topic of copyright laws which are widely
misunderstood.
--
--->Neil @ Atari

...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"Loose chips sink ships."

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (12/12/86)

In article <674@water.UUCP> ljdickey@water.UUCP (Lee Dickey) writes:

>I think that according to the copyright convention used in the United States
>an author who circulates his book without proper copyright notice no longer
>has any claim to copyright.

Nope.  I don't remember the exact details, but if you distribute your
work without a copyright notice, but you didn't mean to put the work
in the public domain, you may correct the mistake by registering a
copyright before N years pass, where N is something like 3 or 5.

You can get more information at your library in any good encyclopedia
under "Copyright".
--
emordnilapregnolanalpanama

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
                Delphi or GEnie: mnementh

fouts@orville (Marty Fouts) (12/12/86)

In article <486@atari.UUcp> neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) writes:
>Please, people, before making any rash assumptions about the law, read one
>of the many books available on the subject.

Which book Neil? ;-)

Actually, the problem isn't quite that simply solved.  The recent copyright
laws, as well as changes to the patent system and other side effects of
various legislative attempts to address the issues of copyright, patent,
and trade secret with respect to the computer industry, have -- if anything --
made the situation more difficult to understand.

Most of the current copyright law is under examination in one court or
another, and if you read enough of the books, you will find that the
experts don't readily agree on what it means, where it applies, or how
it should be interpretted.

The entire issue of intellectual property is complex and in a state of flux
and recently, by the time a book has reached print, it has become out of date.

(BTW who owns the Amiga blitter chip :-)

ralph@ee.brunel.ac.uk (Ralph Mitchell) (12/14/86)

In article <674@water.UUCP> ljdickey@water.UUCP (Lee Dickey) writes:

>Now, I have a copy of something called "BREAKOUT.ACC".  As far as I can see,
>in the copy that I have, there is no copyright notice. Without that notice,
>should I feel an obligation not to copy it?  I think not.
>
>I would guess that the owners of BREAKOUT.ACC long ago lost their legal
>claim to any protection that copyright might imply under US copyright law.

Can I just ask,  "Are you all talking about the same BREAKOUT.ACC ??"

I mean, if I was to write an accessory to play BREAKOUT, and posted it to
the world without any copyright/PD notice in it, would it cause the same
amount of trouble ??
Ralph Mitchell                 | VOICE: +44 895 74000 Ext 2561
Computer Centre                | ARPA:  ralph%ee.brunel.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa
Brunel University              | UUCP:  ...!mcvax!ukc!ee.brunel.ac.uk!ralph
Uxbridge                       | JANET: ralph@uk.ac.brunel.ee
UB8 3PH                        |
UNITED KINGDOM                 |     "Noli illegitemi carborundum"