[comp.sys.atari.st] What happened to ACTION?

TOESTAG@HGRRUG5.BITNET (12/16/86)

Several months ago I've heard something about a new languagew called ACTION.
It claimed to be fast, a C-like language without C's awkward syntax and as
easy to develop a program as using Turbo Pascal.
What's happened to it? Is it out yet? I didn't hear anything about ACTION
since then.

Agus Judistira (Holland)

ONE you can have only
must be an EXCELLENT one truly

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (12/18/86)

In article <bleh> TOESTAG@HGRRUG5.BITNET writes:
>Several months ago I've heard something about a new languagew called ACTION.
>It claimed to be fast, a C-like language without C's awkward syntax and as
>easy to develop a program as using Turbo Pascal.
>What's happened to it? Is it out yet? I didn't hear anything about ACTION
>since then.
>
>Agus Judistira (Holland)

   ACTION! is not a new language, but an old Atari 8-bit language.  In that
context, it was the best language available; it has C-like constructs,
and has (pseudo-) compiled speed.  However, in order to run the programs
you produced, you either had to have the Action! cartridge in your cartridge
port, or had to have compiled the program using a special (i.e. extra money)
piece of software.  Additionally, if you want to sell anything you produce
using Action!, you must buy a commercial licence (more extra $$).  In short,
it was the best thing available for the 8-bit line, but had (has) some
major problems nonetheless.
   For the ST, however, it would fall short.  From where I'm sitting, the
bulk of code written for the ST is in C, which means that you would most
benefit from having a C compiler.  C's "awkward" syntax isn't really improved
by Action!; Action! merely takes some of the cocepts and constructs and
merges them with BASIC, to produce something equally as awkward, but not as
powerful.
   The main advantage of Action! is the fact that it's hardware.  The editor
and compiler (as well as "library" routines) are in the cartridge, so
the compile/edit cycle is sped up considerably.  However, I would much
rather see a C compiler and vi-like editor stuck on a cartridge for the
ST-- you'd get the speed and convenience of having "hard software" without
the portability issue of yet another limited programming language.
   Incidentally, I haven't heard anything about a possible ST Action! since
that rumor appeared many months back.
--

 - Joel Plutchak
   uucp: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster