[comp.sys.atari.st] EDT on ST

MARKS-ROGER@YALE.ARPA (12/18/86)

	Do you VMS users know that there is an ST version of EDT?  I just found
it accidently on Ataribase.  I was ecstatic; it's a very nice simulation of the
keypad editor and has a lot of nice command features (such as multiple windows/
multiple buffers).  For most of my purposes, it much better than a word-
processor (all we need is ST-RUNOFF!).  The files are STEDT.PRG and STEDT.DOC
on SIG8.  The number is 408-745-5308.  I could send the files on request but
the UUCODED version is almost 50K.
	If everybody interested has had this program for years, then, uh,
...never mind....

Roger
Marks@yale.arpa
-------

gordan@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta) (12/19/86)

I agree with you completely about this editor... it does a really good
job of emulating the EDT editor that is standard on VAXes running the
VMS operating system.

The best part is the use of the numeric keypad (as in EDT) for performing
the most common editing functions.  After a little practice, you find
yourself developing automatic reflexes in the fingers of your right hand,
which boosts your editing speed.

There are also a few EMACS-like commands, for manipulating multiple windows
and editing several files simultaneously (great if you've broken your
program up into several source files).  There is no arbitrary limit on
file size.

I really like this editor and have been wondering why there hasn't been
more noise made about it.  Definitely worth checking out.

Gordan Palameta          ...!seismo!mnetor!lsuc!maccs!gordan

P.S.   Who's the author of the program?  Many thanks...

P.P.S.  If you tried an earlier version of this editor and threw it out
   because of unbearably slow file load/save times, that problem has
   been fixed in later versions.

weaver@ldp.dec.com (Dave, 297-7141, MRO2-4/E33) (12/20/86)

I would be quite surprised if that was a public domain version of STEDT!
I have seen adds for a product called STEDT, and I know SEDT (note the
distinction SEDT not STEDT) was developed by Anker Software.  SEDT is
an enhanced version of the VAX EDT, it has block deletes and is currently
being beta-tested; I paid real money to be a beta-test site.  I can't recall
where I saw the adds for STEDT, but I am 99% sure it is not public domain,
and should probably be removed from the BBS until such a determination can
be made.

							-Dave

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (12/20/86)

In article <7058@decwrl.DEC.COM> weaver@ldp.dec.com (Dave, 297-7141, MRO2-4/E33) writes:
>I would be quite surprised if that was a public domain version of STEDT!
>I have seen adds for a product called STEDT, and I know SEDT (note the
>distinction SEDT not STEDT) was developed by Anker Software.  SEDT is
>an enhanced version of the VAX EDT, it has block deletes and is currently
>being beta-tested; I paid real money to be a beta-test site.  I can't recall
>where I saw the adds for STEDT, but I am 99% sure it is not public domain,
>and should probably be removed from the BBS until such a determination can
>be made.
>
>							-Dave

     There is definitely a public domain version of an EDT emulator.  This
was a result of an early posting of MicroEMACS to BIX.  I think it was
Brad Fuller who did the conversion to EDT (I'm not sure now, but I can
check).  It was first posted to BIX some time ago.  We have a newer version
on BIX now with some enhancements.  I don't know whether either of these
programs is the one everybody is talking about 'here', but if so, then it's
properly postable to a BBS.  If it's the commercial EDT emulator, then
obviously it shouldn't be posted.  I'll try and remember to get some ID
stats to post to the Net, but it doesn't seem urgent.

Cheers! -- Jim O.