[comp.sys.atari.st] Avatex 1200 -- ASCII uploads and RTS/CTS

stuart@rochester.ARPA (Stuart Friedberg) (12/22/86)

MARKS-ROGER@YALE.ARPA writes:
> the average is an error about every 20 lines.
> Now I suspect my Avatex 1200 (not 1200hc) modem.  Can anyone shoot
> down this theory for me by claiming successful uploads with that model?

I have had no trouble with my Avatex 1200 uploading from ST to a Vax
that is a local call away, nor with lengthy dial-in terminal sessions.
However, you may be having trouble with your particular modem.

Related topic:  Don't use RTS/CTS flow control with an Avatex 1200.
The problem is in the Atari ST, rather than the Avatex.  The Atari
only detects the EDGE of the CTS signal, rather than its LEVEL.  The
Avatex does not toggle CTS for each character.  Instead, it asserts
CTS as long as it is willing to take characters (like many RS-232C
printer interfaces).  The result is that the Atari will send a single
character and then wait forever for CTS to be toggled, even though
the Avatex is still asserting CTS.

I haven't worked out all the possibilities, but it is *possible* that
you are running into this problem in the other direction and your
Atari is overrunning the Avatex and thus garbling characters on
transmission.  Try turning off RTS/CTS and uploading if you normally
have the RS-232C port configured for RTS/CTS.

Stu Friedberg  {seismo, allegra}!rochester!stuart  stuart@rochester