[comp.sys.atari.st] ACTION, C compilers, and ROM cartridges

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (12/19/86)

[Question: what's "akward" about C syntax?]

Programs in ROM are not any faster than programs in RAM.  They just
don't need to be loaded from disk.  In the case of a program you use
repeatedly in one session (e.g. editor, compiler, linker) you only
need to load it ONCE, into RAMDISK.  There is a very limited number
of ROMs you can plug into your ST at once, but it is easy to boot
various disks.  Therefore it is my view that in most cases those
cartridges are obsolete.  Their current use is for a sceme of copy-
protection (ugh: "we trust you SO LITTLE that we won't even SELL you
a disk"),  and also for turnkey diskless systems (e.g. an ST set up
as a dumb terminal).

About 10 months ago Aztec told me they did not plan (then) a port
of their compiler to the ST.  So they've had a late start.  Too
bad, since their's may be the best of the ones on the Mac.

If you want a FAST C compiler, try Megamax on a RAM disk - it isn't
much slower than Lightspeed C, and is available NOW on the ST.  Now
if they had only used the FP package that's used in Absoft FORTRAN...

- Moshe Braner

rtb@ihlpf.UUCP (Todd) (12/19/86)

> Programs in ROM are not any faster than programs in RAM.  They just

I Agree.

> Therefore it is my view that in most cases those
> cartridges are obsolete.  Their current use is for a sceme of copy-
> protection (ugh: "we trust you SO LITTLE that we won't even SELL you
> a disk"),  and also for turnkey diskless systems (e.g. an ST set up
> as a dumb terminal).

I disagree.

The cartridge port for the ST gives it an edge over
Mac and IBM systems (Does the AMIGA have a cartridge slot??)
The advantage of a cartridge is that it allows you to have
up to 128k of program without taking away system ram which
can then be used to make an even larger RAM disk. When ST
systems larger than 1 meg become commonly available this
won't be as important. Also, not being fortunate enough to own
a hard disk, having a large program  available instantly without
waiting for it load from a floppy drive would be great.

ROMS are more reliable than floyy or hard disks. Therfore
there is a greater chance that a ROM program will be there when I
need it. I admit I haven't lost a program due to floppy disk
failure yet, but it could happen.

						R.T. Bradstrum

In article <918@ihlpf.UUCP> rtb@ihlpf.UUCP (Todd) writes:

>The cartridge port for the ST gives it an edge over
>Mac and IBM systems (Does the AMIGA have a cartridge slot??)

The Amiga doesn't have a cartridge slot, rather it has a general purpose
expansion port.  It is trivial to make a 'ROM Cartridge' that plugs into
this port, and the operating system will recognize a special signature in
the ROM and give it a chance to gain control.

>The advantage of a cartridge is that it allows you to have
>up to 128k of program without taking away system ram which
>can then be used to make an even larger RAM disk...

The ability to plug in addition RAM thru the expansion port makes this
less of an issue.

**** please: no flames, I just tried to answer the question raised...

pes@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk (Paul Smee) (12/22/86)

Mostly I'd agree with Moshe, that the primary function of cartridges in
this modern high-memory age is as a copy-protection device.  In fact,
some of the cartridges now out (e.g. Backpack) seem to me to be
patently ludicrous -- virtually everything it does (with a couple exceptions,
sure) requires that you put its data disk into the drive.  If you're going
to have to insert a disk anyway, seems to me you might as well just run
the program from the disk.

There is, though, one thing I'd *reealy* like to see put onto a cartridge.
That's a *really good* debugging package.  There would be several benefits.
First, it'd always be there when you need it -- with no danger of mucking up
the one critical bit of info in the corpse by having to do disk I/O.  Second,
it would, by definition, be out of the way totally of the address space of
the program under test, meaning (a) you wouldn't have to leave room for it,
and (b) the failing program couldn't garbage it.  The latter, particularly,
is a hazard with RAM-resident debuggers.
And, with a whole 192K of potential ROM to play in, it could be be made
incredibly powerful.

So, howbout it, you 'registered software development houses'?