[comp.sys.atari.st] News Announcement!!!

Flash@UMass.BITNET (Rick Flashman) (01/10/87)

     Just read a press release from CES in Las Vegas dated Jan. 8.
Basically, it says the following:

o  Atari announced a new line of ST computers. They are being dubbed
   "Mega STs 1, 2 and 4". Seems that the number tells you how much
    RAM (in megs) each one has. They come in a brand-new design case
    with a built in 800K 3.5" drive. The computer also has a detachable
    keyboard. The prices were not mentioned, but the cheapest should
    start at $1000. The "system unit" with the drive is about 22"
    square and 2" high. Houses the drive, cpu and power supply. All
    standard ST ports are there. It is meant for the monitor to be
    stacked on top. Contains a re-defined motherboard. A battery
    powered clock card is built in. It supposedly allows internall
    and externall expansion by means of plug in circuit boards.
    And there is even a mention that Atari will soon be releasing a
    16 meg and networking capability upgrades!! The keyboard comes
    with a coiled cord and pop-open legs.

    (There was no mention of the blitter chip, but the mention of an
     internal card expansion slot makes me think this is for the
     blitter chip.)

o   Also announced was a new laser printer. ($1500) It has no controller
    and is software driven from the ST. "prototype" so prepare to wait
    for this one. Another mention seems to say that you need a 2 meg
    ST to be able to run it. Hmmm, considering that laser printers
    WITH a controller sell for $1,895 and Apple is coming out with a
    "mini" printer for $2,000 with a controller. I think Atari might
    either lower the price a bit, or add a controller.

o   An Atari PC (I guess the emulator got soooo good, they decided to
    sell it by itself!) It comes with 512K of ram expandable to 640k.
    Same box as an MEGA ST. $499 for one without the monitor. Built
    in 5 1/4 drive. detachable xt-style keyboard and 256K of graphics
    dedicated ram. A costum chip has been included that supports ALL
    graphic modes. (EGA, CGA, IBM MONO, and Hercules) A Microsoft
    compatible mouse port and mouse are included too. A monochrome
    monitor that supports ALL graphic modes was also announced. It
    also runs at either 4.77MHZ or 8MHZ. and a socket for a co-processor.

o   Also a new slim 20 meg hard drive. It probably is slim-designed
    to fit right under the monitor and on top of the MEGA ST case.

Rick Flashman                         Flash@UMASS.BITNET
1040 N. Pleasant St. #381             Flash%UMASS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Amherst, MA  01002                    R-FLASHMAN on GENIE
(413) 549-0173

phr@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU (Paul Rubin) (01/10/87)

In article <870109212520.0000099C.AONM.MA@UMass> Flash@UMass.BITNET (Rick Flashman) writes:
>o   Also announced was a new laser printer. ($1500) It has no controller
>    and is software driven from the ST. "prototype" so prepare to wait
>    for this one. Another mention seems to say that you need a 2 meg
>    ST to be able to run it. Hmmm, considering that laser printers
>    WITH a controller sell for $1,895 and Apple is coming out with a
>    "mini" printer for $2,000 with a controller. I think Atari might
>    either lower the price a bit, or add a controller.

At the moment I don't know of any inexpensive laser printers that let you
load a full page bitmap at full resolution.  You need a megabyte of memory
to do this, and most of the cheap printers around (HP LJ+, etc.) come
with 1/2 a megabyte.  At current DRAM prices this seems like marketroid-
induced insanity, but who knows why they do it.  In any case, I welcome
a printer that doesn't think it knows better than I do what I want to
print on the page.  (Has anyone used the Tall Trees JLASER card?  This
is a board that plugs into a PC backplane and drives the LBP-CX video
interface directly.  I gather you have to lobotomize your printer by
cutting a few wires (bypassing the controller) in order to use it.)

While we're on the subject, does anyone know a cheap (<$500) dot matrix
printer with good dot resolution (e.g. 24 pin head) that lets you print
full resolution graphics at full speed?  The NEC Pinwriter P6 is a
possibility if you can stuff bits into the parallel port fast enough.
Has anyone seen this done?  I want to have a cheap and dirty way of
printing .dvi (TeX output) files.

dclemans@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Dave Clemans) (01/12/87)

What I've understood from the messages on Compuserve's Atari Developers
SIG is that the blitter chip is standard on the MEGA ST series, and that
the internal card slot will be used for another purpose.  Other people
(non-Atari employees) have said that they have heard that it will be
used for a math coprocessor.

The announced delivery date for the laser printer is "late spring".

The $495 pc clone and the pc emulator for the ST are two completely
separate products.  According to my sources the reason that the pc
emulator hasn't appeared yet is that there's been problems getting
it through FCC certification.

dgc