[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari rumor

ses@oliveb.UUCP (Dean Brunette) (01/08/87)

OK, here's a rumor that can have deep implications on the ST community:

NOTE:  This is a rumor that I've heard and am only passing on.  We will know
       soon enough if this is true...

Atari will be showing/announcing a new machine at CES.  It will not be a new
ST, and it will not be 68020 based machine.  What it will be is an IBM clone,
running MS-DOS and all the software associated with the IBM family.  This is
NOT the IBM box for the ST!!

This could be both good for Atari and bad for the ST...

Dean Brunette, Olivetti Advanced Technology Center, Inc.  Cupertino, CA

DISCLAIMER:  The people at OATC know nothing about the ST or the Amiga, and
             couldn't care less...

p.s.: as I post this a co-worker came in and handed me the announcement in the
      San Jose Mercury Times... guess it's not a rumor!!

romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) (01/11/87)

In article <354@oliveb.UUCP>, ses@oliveb.UUCP (Dean Brunette) writes:

> Atari will be showing/announcing a new machine at CES.  It will not be a new
> ST, and it will not be 68020 based machine.  What it will be is an IBM clone,
> running MS-DOS and all the software associated with the IBM family.  This is
> NOT the IBM box for the ST!!
>
> This could be both good for Atari and bad for the ST...
I saw mention in USA TODAY-- also suggests "is not a rumor."
However, I wouldn't think that the IBM clone idea poses much threat to the
68000 family Atari is putting forth.  I would think that the IBM clone
may be just a way of trying to make some extra bucks so they can keep
a little more solidly afloat-- IBM clones will be at least for a couple
of years a sound way to make money if nothing else...
I've seen no major signs that the Atari is catching on big in the
business market, so maybe they'll be using this as a foot in the
door... then, once the business folk are interested they can be shown
the ST family and its successors and be impressed.

Still waiting for 68020... -Antonio Romero

In article <354@oliveb.UUCP> ses@oliveb.UUCP (Dean Brunette) writes:

>OK, here's a rumor that can have deep implications on the ST community:
>
>Atari will be showing/announcing a new machine at CES.  It will not be a new
>ST, and it will not be 68020 based machine.  What it will be is an IBM clone,
>running MS-DOS and all the software associated with the IBM family.  This is
>NOT the IBM box for the ST!!
>
>This could be both good for Atari and bad for the ST...

Yeah, it's true, an Atari PC clone, to be available for sale in April.  It
includes built in EGA/Herc/etc graphics and 4.77/8Mhz switchable processor.
Built in expansion 'capability' with box 'to follow'.  Includes mouse.
List to be $699.99 including multi-sync monochrome monitor.  Looks a lot
prettier than the Amstrad and Radio Shack equivalents...

More interesting is a new 'mega-ST' with a detached keyboard.  Comes with
battery backup-clock and 1-4 meg.  The press release says it includes the
new blitter chip, although it wasn't mentioned in the blurbs in the booth.
Also supposed to be some kind of expansion bus, but nothing visible on the
unit.  Perhaps they finally broke down and added a read/write line to the
cartridge port?

Also shown was a Canon printer mechanism being directly driven by the
new ST.  Supposed to be chaep as it connects to the DMA connnector and
requires no internal processor board.

Also lots of booth space devoted to game consoles.

leo@sunybcs.UUCP (Leo Wilson) (01/14/87)

Perhaps Atari took it to heart that people aren't real pleased about the
40 folder limit and decided to put out a machine that wouldn't have such
an incredibly limiting problem. At least one vendor that I've spoken with
about networks (BMB Compuscience in Milton, Ontario) uses a PC or compatible
as the master/file server in a LAN scheme, neatly circumventing TOS's brain
problems.... This company is also the ONLY one I've spoken with that will
say "Yes, we'll network your ST's TODAY!", and I've called every one I've heard
of that's involved with an ST network...

Disclaimer: I'm not involved with BMB or atari, just trying to use ST's
at work... where they have a very sparse idea that Usenet exists and no
idea at all that the company name is in my .signature ...
--
Leo E. Wilson(leo@buffalo.csnet)	Niagara Paper Company
364 West Delavan Avenue			99 Bud-Mil Drive