[comp.sys.atari.st] Another ARC request.

sikorski@utcs.UUCP (12/10/86)

I am relatively new to this newsgroup and as yet do not have a program
called ARC. I must have missed an earlier posting. I have looked around
a few local BBS's and have not come up with any luck. I am wondering
if it is not time for another posting of this program or failing that
could some kind hearted person e-mail a copy. I do have working copies
of uudecode both on my atari and on our unix system.
				      Thanks
				      Ted

--
Name:     Ted Sikorski (University of Toronto Computing Services)
alias:    ted@utoronto.bitnet

jmorton@euler.Berkeley.EDU (John Willard Morton) (12/11/86)

In article <1986Dec9.181700.26559@utcs.uucp> sikorski@utcs.uucp (//TED) writes:

>I am relatively new to this newsgroup and as yet do not have a program
>called ARC. I must have missed an earlier posting. I have looked around
>a few local BBS's and have not come up with any luck. I am wondering
>if it is not time for another posting of this program or failing that
>could some kind hearted person e-mail a copy. I do have working copies
>of uudecode both on my atari and on our unix system.
>				      Thanks
>				      Ted

	Looks like this is a good time to ask that a description of
	the purpose of ARC and uuencode/decode be posted, together
	with basic instructions for using them.  And BTW what is
	Uniterm?
					Thanks, John

XXXX     XXXXXXX     XXX
 XXX-----XXXXXXX-----XXX----------------------------------------|____
  XX-----XXXXXXX-----XXX----------------------------------------|
  XX     XXXXXXXxxxxxXXX		6" verynear
  XX     XX
   X     X   John Morton	{decvax, cbosgd}!ucbvax!euler!jmorton
   X     X   Machine Shop
   X     X   1168 Etcheverry  Hall, University of Calif.
   X     X   Berkeley, CA  94720

leo@sunybcs.UUCP (Leo Wilson) (12/13/86)

In article <16592@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> jmorton@euler.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (John Willard Morton) writes:
>In article <1986Dec9.181700.26559@utcs.uucp> sikorski@utcs.uucp (//TED) writes:
>>
>>I am relatively new to this newsgroup and as yet do not have a program
>>called ARC.
>
>	Looks like this is a good time to ask that a description of
>	the purpose of ARC and uuencode/decode be posted, together
>	with basic instructions for using them.  And BTW what is
>	Uniterm?

ARC is a file compression/archiving program that usually saves you around
40-55% disk space over non-arced files. Pretty sophisticated program, uses
one of several compression schemes to save things in the right way for the
file type. I like it, it turns a box of disks into 2 boxes as far as I'm
concerned.

uuencode and uudecode are file EXPANSION programs that turn binary files into
ascii files for e-mail via uucp, thus the name. It causes problems sometimes
because people ignore the uu (UNIX-to-UNIX) in the names of the programs and
send uuencoded files through brain-damaged IBM systems that alter some of the
character set used by uuencode. Usually uudecode works on UNIX machines, but
lots of people have problems porting it to some foreign OS like TOS.

As far as instructions on use, see the man page for uu{en,de}code. For arc,
invoke the arc.ttp program & type h on the command line. It's useful.

Uniterm is a GREAT public domain terminal emulator written by Simon Poole that
emulates VT102 and Tektronix 4110 quite well, enough for a friend of mine to
use for his graphics homework using the tek and for me to discard PC/InterComm,
which doesn't do the VT102 as well... Get it from somewhere, you'll be
impressed. Latest version is 1.6e.

-Leo

--
Leo E. Wilson(leo@buffalo.csnet)	Niagara Paper Company
364 West Delavan Avenue			99 Bud-Mil Drive

news@umnd-cs.UUCP (news) (12/14/86)

I too, could use a copy of ARC, but bettery yet, would it be possible to
get a source listing?

##### Minnesota, home to those kicked out of Siberia #####
				  Mark Pauna (mpauna@umndub)

csan@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Andie) (01/12/87)

In article <271@umnd-cs-gw.umnd-cs.UUCP> mpauna@umndub.UUCP (Mark Pauna) writes:

>I too, could use a copy of ARC, but bettery yet, would it be possible to
>get a source listing?

Me too !!!!!!!!!!!
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

Andrew Ness . Department of Computer Science
              EDINBURGH University.

                   ARPA:  csan%ed.itspna@ucl-cs.arpa
                   UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!itspna!csan
                   JANET: csan@uk.ac.ed.itspna

% These are my own views and any resemblance to any coherent reasoning is
% probably a typo.
%
%  "The back row strikes again!"

andre@nrc-ut.UUCP (Andre' Hut) (01/15/87)

In article <194@its63b.ed.ac.uk> csan@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Andie) writes:
>In article <271@umnd-cs-gw.umnd-cs.UUCP> mpauna@umndub.UUCP (Mark Pauna) writes:
>>I too, could use a copy of ARC, but bettery yet, would it be possible to
>>get a source listing?
>Me too !!!!!!!!!!!
>Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

I'm sure there are a lot of us poor ST owners without 'arc'.  A posting would
be usefull.
                sdcsvax-\         ihnp4-\
Andre' Hut              sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!nrc-ut!andre
                hplabs--/ ucbvax!calma-/        /
				utah-gr!uplherc/
Network Research Corporation
923 Executive Park Dr. Suite C