[comp.sys.atari.st] Printing small characters.

rgoodman@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Ron Carl Goodman) (01/13/87)

[]

Does anyone know how to access the mini fonts used in icons?  I can't seem
to find anything in my GEMDOS book.

Ron

rgoodman@cit-vax.(arpa,bitnet,uucp)
-----------------------------------

minow@decvax.UUCP (Martin Minow) (01/14/87)

In article <1483@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> rgoodman@cit-vax.UUCP
(Ron Carl Goodman) asks how to access the 6x6 font used in
icons.   I would suspect that you could use the vst_font()
call to select the font (sorry, I don't know its index), and
then v_gtext() to output text.  I haven't tried this, though.
If I did, I would try fonts 1, 2, 3 to see if any do anything
interesting.

What you *can't* do is to "convince" the bios that you are using
the 6x6 font with low-level text output (Cconws()).  The bit
banger that puts the font characters into the screen area "knows"
that fonts are 8 bits wide.  A week or so ago, I posted code that
will force the bios to use a home-made font as the "system" font.
See that posting for the gory details.

Martin Minow
decvax!minow

rgoodman@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Ron Carl Goodman) (01/14/87)

In article <7@decvax.UUCP> minow@decvax.UUCP (Martin Minow) writes:
>In article <1483@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> rgoodman@cit-vax.UUCP
>(Ron Carl Goodman) asks how to access the 6x6 font used in
>icons.   I would suspect that you could use the vst_font()
>. . .
>Martin Minow

Unfortunately vst_font(handle,font) puts my monochrome ST into 40 column
mode.  Yes, that's right, these are BIG characters.  Which is nice and all,
except that I need tiny letters.  Not only that, but I don't believe you can
even get out of that mode for outputting with g_text().  I tried sending
values for font of -10 thru 15 and they all put you in big mode and none
takes you out!  IT must be possible though, I mean they are there in the
icons in desktop, right???

Ron

-----------------------------------
rgoodman@cit-vax.(arpa,bitnet,uucp)

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (01/16/87)

In article <1496@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> rgoodman@cit-vax.UUCP (Ron Carl Goodman) writes:

> I tried sending
>values for font of -10 thru 15 and they all put you in big mode and none
>takes you out!  IT must be possible though, I mean they are there in the
>icons in desktop, right???

The font used is font 1, defined as the system font.

A call like:

    int i;

    vst_point(handle,1,&i,&i,&i,&i);

will set the font to the smallest possible size.
--
....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
My balogna has a first name, it's Jimbob. My balogna has a second name, it's