[comp.sys.atari.st] STSPEECH

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (11/15/86)

In article <107@wldrdg.UUCP> tony@wldrdg.UUCP (Tony Andrews) writes:

>There is a copyright notice in the binary that reads (sic):
>
>	MC68000/AY-3-8910 SPEECH SYNTHERSIZER V:2.0
>	Copyright 1986 A.D.BEVERIDGE & M.N.DAY
>	ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
>

>If anyone knows these people or knows for sure that this isn't being
>sold as a product somewhere, please send me mail. I plan to post any
>speech output routines that I come up with, but I'd rather know the
>status of this program before I do that.

   That looks an awfully lot like an official copyright notice,
restricting the right to copy the program (or at least parts of it,
like perhaps the speech data and driver) to the original authors.
Copyright has nothing to do with whether or not the program is sold
commercially.  It is illegal to copy a copyright-protected program
(or program segment) unless given the right by the holders of the
copyright.  Period.  To stay legal, you'll have to do a bit more than
just "make sure it isn't being sold" somewhere.  However, if you *do*
get permission, or find out that the data/program isn't protected,
I'd be interested in seeing more, since I'd planned on adapting a
friend's 8086 speech code/data to the ST.  This would save me a bit of
trouble.
--

 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.  The above is my own understanding of the
law, garnered by many informative postings, articles, etc., by people who
claim to be lawyers.  It has no bearing on what I actually *think* of the
law, since I believe the owner of a piece of software should have the
right to make copies of that software as needed for backup purposes.

sean@ukma.uky.csnet (Sean Casey) (11/16/86)

In article <510@uwmacc.UUCP> oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) writes:
>In article <107@wldrdg.UUCP> tony@wldrdg.UUCP (Tony Andrews) writes:
>>
>>There is a copyright notice in the binary that reads (sic):
>>
>>       MC68000/AY-3-8910 SPEECH SYNTHERSIZER V:2.0
>>       Copyright 1986 A.D.BEVERIDGE & M.N.DAY
>>       ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
>>
>   That looks an awfully lot like an official copyright notice,
>restricting the right to copy the program (or at least parts of it,
>like perhaps the speech data and driver) to the original authors.

I disagree.  It does look like a Copyright notice, but just because the
permission to copy information isn't in the binary doesn't mean that
it doesn't exist.  What you do have here is a copyright notice, and
that means that the permission to copy had *better* exist somewhere.  I
wouldn't propagate the program until I found it.

Sean
-------------------
Obligatory lines to defeat the 50% rule...

Inews is stupid...
Inews is stupid...
Inews is stupid...
Inews is stupid...
Inews is stupid...

(You know, I really hate having to do this, but someone tried to make
 the program too smart, and in doing so, they only made it stupid.)
Sean Casey      UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean           CSNET:  sean@ms.uky.csnet
		ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa    BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET

landay@violet.berkeley.edu (James A. Landay) (12/14/86)

Can someone please send me STSPEECH!

Thanks,
James Landay
landay@violet.berkeley.edu

wolenty@inuxj.UUCP (01/14/87)

Our news link seems to be whole again but in the confusion
experienced here it seems I missed a distribution of an ST
SPEECH program.  It sounds great!  Now if someone wouldn't
mind mailing me a copy.....

				Ron Wolenty
				ATT Consumer Products
				Indpls., In

edo@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Eric D. Osborne) (01/18/87)

I would also be very apreciative if someone could send me STSPEECH.

Thanks in advance,
Eric Osborne
{ihnp4,cbosgd}!ncpj!edo
	or