[comp.sys.atari.st] UUDECODE short file

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (01/21/87)

After getting the "dash" program recently posted, my attempts at uudecode
always give me "short file". Anyone else had this problem?

I did have the same problem with one of the postings of krabat and
pictures, where occasionally an @ was changed to a j (lower case).
This is not the same: it certainly does not have any lower case letters.

If someone got it to work, then perhaps they could indicate how many
lines/characters the encoded file should have.

Re problems with some arced files, I note that stuff from Braner (all
very good) seems to require arc512, which I have on the IBM PC, but not
on my ST. Anyone got a combined ST arc/arc512?

ses@oliveb.UUCP (Dean Brunette) (01/23/87)

In article <427@cernvax.UUCP>, jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) writes:
> After getting the "dash" program recently posted, my attempts at uudecode
> always give me "short file". Anyone else had this problem?

Yes.

> Re problems with some arced files, I note that stuff from Braner (all
> very good) seems to require arc512, which I have on the IBM PC, but not
> on my ST. Anyone got a combined ST arc/arc512?

The ARC utility which I have on my ST seems to be 5.12-compatible, as I
ARC/deARC files for both my ST and MS-DOS  computers interchangeably on
either machine.  I guess there really ARE different versions for the ST
floating around...

Dean Brunette, S.E.S.                   DISCLAIMER: I'm in it for myself...

Olivetti Advanced Technology Center      ____  ____  __|__  ____
Cupertino, CA  95014                    |    | ____|   |   |
(408) 996-3867                          |____||____|   |__ |____

{anywhere}!ucbvax,hplabs,decvax,amdahl,sun!oliveb!olivej!ses

Patrick@ark.cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) (01/23/87)

>anyone combined ST arc/ arc512 on the PC?

Yes, I do it all the time (I run a bbs on a PC and use an ST for my personal
joy. Both ARC's are fully compatible/interchangeable. Not a single
difference found. So your problem has to be somewhere else....

turner@imagen.UUCP (01/23/87)

in article <421@oliveb.UUCP>, ses@oliveb.UUCP (Dean Brunette) says:

> In article <427@cernvax.UUCP>, jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) writes:
>> After getting the "dash" program recently posted, my attempts at uudecode
>> always give me "short file". Anyone else had this problem?

one very common cause of "short file" is the line just before "end",
it should be a space followed a carriage return. some smart mailers
or others delete the leading space leaving a null line. if you put
the space back the file should uudecode correctly.

--
C'est la vie, C'est le guerre, C'est la pomme de terre