[comp.sys.atari.st] flexcopy, scache, uudecode

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (01/24/87)

[]

John M Altstadt writes:
>A bug I found in "flexcopy" involves "scache" (I think).  When "scache"
>(version 3) is installed and I copy from my ramdisk to a floppy, it returns
>to the desktop and says that there are 0 bytes used in 0 items until I
>pop the disk out and force a re-read...

- Oops!  That's expected, now that I think of it...
(It's because FLEXCOPY gets the "media changed" message to GEMDOS behind
the back of SCACHE.)   Solution as stated.

> Moshe's uudecode.tos will not decode some files that will decode
> with an older version I have that takes around 10000 times as long...

- My uudecode assumes that the FIRST line says "begin xxx filename"
(where 'xxx' is one word, usually '644').  If you have extra lines at
the top, or extra blank (or garbage) lines in the middle (due perhaps
to the concatenation of separate postings) you have to remove those
yourself (with a text editor).  The program ends the decoding at the
first blank line (which is supposed to have one space character - my
program will take it either way).  The "end" line is superfluous.
My uudecode will automatically take care of: missing trailing spaces,
added trailing chars or leading control chars (e.g. nulls), and left
single quotes (ASCII $60) instead of spaces.  It will NOT fix the effects
of nasty EBCDIC machines that swap some ASCII codes with others...

> Does anybody know what Moshe does for a living?

- I'm a graduate student at Cornell, in Mathematical Ecology.
Now that the semester has started my ST work will slow down considerably (the
non-scientific part of it, anyway).  And BTW, I need a job for next year...

- Moshe Braner