[comp.sys.atari.st] autodisk, flexcopy

braner@batcomputer.UUCP (01/26/87)

[]

'Autodisk' writes directly into high RAM, and will work with the 'eternal'
RAMdisk (and the original version by John Harris) ONLY.  It also assumes
the RAMdisk is labeled 'D'.  For other cases use 'Flexcopy', which writes
through Rwabs() and so should work with other 'disks'.  (If you have a
hard disk you probably don't call your RAMdisk 'D', but then you don't
need Autocopy either...)

If, after using the RAMdisk, with folders, you want to overwrite it with
the contents of another floppy, use Flexcopy, NOT Autocopy!  (The latter
may bump against the famous 40-folder bug!)  (alternatively, do a COLD
boot:  turn power off and wait a few seconds.  I mean COLD!)

- Moshe Braner

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (01/27/87)

In article <2122@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@batcomputer.UUCP (braner) writes:
>[]
>
>'Autodisk' writes directly into high RAM, and will work with the 'eternal'
>RAMdisk (and the original version by John Harris) ONLY.  It also assumes
>the RAMdisk is labeled 'D'.  For other cases use 'Flexcopy', which writes
>through Rwabs() and so should work with other 'disks'.  (If you have a
>hard disk you probably don't call your RAMdisk 'D', but then you don't
>need Autocopy either...)

I tried it with disk E (maybe one day I will have a hard disk!) and it
seems to work just fine. I had to modify zzzap though, because it did
reference disk D, and at the same time I made zzzap runnable from auto
and removing the .acc files also).

What I would also like would be
1. the time-setting part of autodisk, for boot disks where I do not
   want a ramdisk.
2. the disk copy part of autodisk, for when I have a battery-backed clock.

braner@batcomputer.UUCP (01/29/87)

[]

Always more corrections...

Yes, AUTODISK does NOT, after all, refer to the RAMdisk by drive letter
(e.g. D:).  It writes to high RAM directly, so what TOS calls the fake drive
is irrelevant.  As for the time-setting part of AUTODISK - it is essentially
the same as that posted by Allan Pratt a while ago.  If there is enough
demand I'll post my version (independent of the disk-copying part).  If you
want to use AUTODISK but set the time via a different method (e.g. a
battery-run clock) put the software to do that into the AUTO folder before
you put AUTODISK there: AUTODISK skips setting the time if the time is
valid.

- Moshe Braner