[comp.sys.atari.st] Big screen monitors/editors

lrf@dukempd.UUCP (01/29/87)

I've got two questions:

Large screen monochrome monitors:
  I wish to drive several large screen monitors from a
monochrome 1040.  Has anyone tried to do this?  I know the 71 Hz
frame refresh requires special monitors.  Brand names and model
numbers of suitable monitors would be appreciated.
  Can someone at Atari comment on the monitor requirements for
the new 1000X1000 bit screens (or is that just a rumor?).

Slow text editors:
  I have now used two general purpose editors: 1st-word and a
VAX look-alike.  Both are abnormally slow to open and close
large working files, taking similar times to floppy, hard disk,
or ram disk.  Abnormally slow means they take something like
5 to 10 times longer than a copy operation.  What gives?

--
	Lloyd Fortney			    1-919-684-8226
	Duke University Dept. of Physics    fortney%dukehep@dukempd.uucp

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (01/31/87)

In article <306@dukempd.UUCP> lrf@dukempd.UUCP (Lloyd Fortney) writes:
>I've got two questions:
>
>Large screen monochrome monitors:
>  I wish to drive several large screen monitors from a
>monochrome 1040.  Has anyone tried to do this?  I know the 71 Hz
>frame refresh requires special monitors.  Brand names and model
>numbers of suitable monitors would be appreciated.
> Lloyd Fortney Duke University Physics mcnc!duke!dukempd!dukehep!fortney

Large screen monitors with funny scan rates are almost always special order
items.  The companies that make the monitors have to select appropriate
modules and set a component value or two to get the correct Horizontal and
Vertical rates and also select TTL or ECL compatible video input.

Two companies that come to mind are Dotronics and Moniterm.  Moniterm
(612) 941-8383 makes (or made) the monitors for the Sun-II workstations...