[comp.sys.atari.st] Moshe's Nite

KPH017@djukfa11.BITNET.UUCP (01/30/87)

Date:         Fri, 30 Jan 87 20:57:33 MEZ
From:         Christian Bode <KPH017@DJUKFA11>
Subject:      Moshe's Nite
To:           INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

Hi all friends of Moshe's Nite !

I got a suggestion for it. When I am sitting in front of my Atari reading
some papers and nite turns the monitor off i won't see any messages or
other things i got on my screen. Wouldn't it be nice if nite also
turns the screen on when there is any screenactivity ??. And it also
shouldn't turn it off when there is any activity.

   Christian Bode   <KPH017@DJUKFA11.BITNET>

gordan@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta) (02/02/87)

In article <8701302044.AA12012@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> KPH017%DJUKFA11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu writes:

>other things i got on my screen. Wouldn't it be nice if nite also
>turns the screen on when there is any screenactivity ??. And it also
>shouldn't turn it off when there is any activity.

In principle, this shouldn't be too hard... all you would have to do, really,
would be to do a CRC check on the 32k screen buffer, and if the CRC value
had changed since the last time you calculated it, this would indicate screen
activity.  Table driven CRCs are pretty fast; if they're not fast enough,
you could simply take the CRC over a sample of every n bytes of the screen
buffer (when n is a prime number to avoid being fooled by fluky regularities
in a screen pattern).

However, what about a blinking cursor?  How do you stop this from being
considered a screen change (hmmm, maybe you could test if the CRC value
alternates between exactly two different values -- I think this might be
worth a try...)

...!seismo!mnetor!lsuc!maccs!gordan     (note dAn or mail may bounce)
Gordan Palameta                  ^  <----'

--