[net.music] The secret history of the headgear microphone

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/07/85)

> From: rosen@ucbvax.ARPA (Rob Rosen)

>      What exactly IS a "Kate Bush microphone?"  Is it like a headset?
>      Do you have to look like Kate Bush to wear one?  Somone clue me
>      in, please...

For KB's concert tour in 79 she wanted to dance, mime, and sing at the
same time.  She felt this would be very difficult while holding a
microphone, so she had a special headgear microphone system designed for
her.  Now these microphones are becoming the biggest rage since the
hula-hoop.

I wonder if she owns the patent on these things....

				-Doug Alan
				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

P.S.  Other silly bits of trivia: Tom Scholz, who's an MIT grad and in
the group Boston and makes mediocre music, invented the "Rock Man",
which is like a walkman which you plug your electric guitar into.  And
Godley and Creme have invented several gadgets which are now widely
used by musicians, but I can't remember what they are....

eric@srs.UUCP (Eric Gottesman) (10/09/85)

> P.S.  Other silly bits of trivia: Tom Scholz, who's an MIT grad and in
> the group Boston and makes mediocre music, invented the "Rock Man",
> which is like a walkman which you plug your electric guitar into.  And
> Godley and Creme have invented several gadgets which are now widely
> used by musicians, but I can't remember what they are....

One of Godley and Creme's gadgets is called the GIZMO. It's a device
that is placed over the strings of a guitar (fastened to the bridge, I think).
It has six little spinning wheels, which when lowered to the strings
give a bowing type sound. They managed to produce many orchestral and
other exotic sounds with this device. They can be heard on an amazing
Godley and Creme album set called "Consequences".

				Eric

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/11/85)

> From: eric@srs.UUCP (Eric Gottesman)

> One of Godley and Creme's gadgets is called the GIZMO. It's a device
> that is placed over the strings of a guitar (fastened to the bridge, I
> think).  It has six little spinning wheels, which when lowered to the
> strings give a bowing type sound.

So that's what that thing was!  Dan Ash used one of those things when I
saw Love and Rockets.  So Love and Rockets are both Godley and Creme
influenced and Kate Bush influenced....

				"And the band played on"

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (10/14/85)

> > From: rosen@ucbvax.ARPA (Rob Rosen)
>
> >      What exactly IS a "Kate Bush microphone?"  Is it like a headset?
> >      Do you have to look like Kate Bush to wear one?  Somone clue me
> >      in, please...
>
> For KB's concert tour in 79 she wanted to dance, mime, and sing at the
> same time.  She felt this would be very difficult while holding a
> microphone, so she had a special headgear microphone system designed for
> her.  Now these microphones are becoming the biggest rage since the
> hula-hoop.
>
> I wonder if she owns the patent on these things....
>
> 				-Doug Alan

Hate to burst your bubble of Kate Bush as the next Edison, but if I
recall NASA, TV crews, Football Coaches and others have used headset
microphones since Kate was in diapers.

...besides, I heard that Mr. Gabriel used a wireless headset mike
on his PG2 tour, which you must know predates 1979.

-todd jones

P.S. KB's new album is a total washout compared to her previous work.

lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (10/15/85)

In article <57@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP writes:
>> From: eric@srs.UUCP (Eric Gottesman)
>
>> One of Godley and Creme's gadgets is called the GIZMO. It's a device
>> that is placed over the strings of a guitar (fastened to the bridge, I
>> think).  It has six little spinning wheels, which when lowered to the
>> strings give a bowing type sound.
>
>So that's what that thing was!  Dan Ash used one of those things when I
>saw Love and Rockets.  So Love and Rockets are both Godley and Creme
>influenced and Kate Bush influenced....
>
>				"And the band played on"

             Strange,but I always thought Jimmy Page made that bowing sound
         famous on Zeppelin's first two albums.You know it's funny,but critics
         hated that part of Page's act,denouncing it as bombast and accusing
         Page of overplaying his part as the wizard.Christ if they hated him
         bowing his two E strings,just imagine how they must feel about bowing
         all six.

                                 Just another timely contribution to
                                       net.KateBush,

                                       Larry Palena,
                                       St. Joseph's Univ.

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!lp102911

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x268) (10/17/85)

> So Love and Rockets are both Godley and Creme
> influenced and Kate Bush influenced....
> 				 Doug Alan
Oh, come off it! I believe Kate Bush is one of the greatest female vocalists
alive, BUT BE REASONABLE!!!!
Love and Rockets is actually composed of members of Tones on Tail(!),
Bauhaus(sp?) and Jazz Butcher.
If you listen to the album you'll discover:
	a) Vocals and themes are very similar to Tones On Tail ;
	b) Melodies and textures of sound are very Bauhaus-like;
	c) A lot of rhythm and base lines are reminescent of Jazz Butcher.
Why is it that any time someone produces a good piece of work you yell
"Kate Bush influence!" ? Don't you believe some people have thier own talents?
--
-----------------------------------+ With deep indifference,
"I disbelieve an army of invisible |                       Oleg Kiselev.

Nothing I ever say reflects the views or opinions of my employers.
They knew who they hired though!

ccs009@ucdavis.UUCP (Dennis Michaels) (10/17/85)

> >      What exactly IS a "Kate Bush microphone?"  Is it like a headset?
> >      Do you have to look like Kate Bush to wear one?  Somone clue me
> >      in, please...
>
> For KB's concert tour in 79 she wanted to dance, mime, and sing at the
> same time.  She felt this would be very difficult while holding a
> microphone, so she had a special headgear microphone system designed for
> her.  Now these microphones are becoming the biggest rage since the
> hula-hoop.
> 				-Doug Alan

	Just for the record ( no pun ) Peter Gabriel ( demi-god among men )
has been using those little buggers for quite some time ( he has a very
physical show including letting the crowd carry him on their hands while
singing 'Lay your hands on me' (( also his band uses them to roam the audien
ce also)) ) .  Now I dont know which came first , the bush or the pete, but
I know its close... The point is more than one artist has helped popularize
both wireless instrument pickups and mikes.....
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dennis Michaels @ University of California, Davis

U.S.Mail: 609 Anderson Rd # 151
          Davis , CA 95616

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/17/85)

> From: todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones)

> Hate to burst your bubble of Kate Bush as the next Edison, but if I
> recall NASA, TV crews, Football Coaches and others have used headset
> microphones since Kate was in diapers.

Not to mention telephone operators.  But none of these are high
fidelity.

> ...besides, I heard that Mr. Gabriel used a wireless headset mike on
> his PG2 tour, which you must know predates 1979.

I'm not sure when the PG2 tour was, but KB's tour was for her first and
second albums, which were released in the same years as PG's first and
second albums.  In any case, Peter Gabriel got it from Kate Bush.  Would
you like me to send you a copy of the BBC documentary to prove it?

(Peter Gabriel guest starred at one of Kate Bush's concerts and probably
thought the microphone was spiffy....)

> P.S. KB's new album is a total washout compared to her previous work.

Foo!  It's her second best album!  Not quite as good as "The Dreaming",
but much better than any of her other albums.  I bet you didn't even
listen to "The Ninth Wave"....

> From: bryan@psivax.UUCP (Bryan Marr)

> The "Kate Bush Microphone" is a Shure Bros. model SM-10, used in
> conjunction with a Nady model 501 true diversity transmitter/receiver
> system. KB does not own the rights to either one of these devises.

Of course radio microphones already existed long before.  The difficulty
was in getting the headgear to work right.  The microphone had to stay
in just the right place even during active moving, dancing, being thrown
around by two big guys, etc.  And nothing appropriate existed at the
time KB decided she needed one.  See aforementioned BBC TV documentary
on the making of Kate Bush's 1979 concert tour for more details.

			"This is the time
			 And this is the record of the time"

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/20/85)

> From: oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x268)

>> So Love and Rockets are both Godley and Creme
>> influenced and Kate Bush influenced....
>> 				 Doug Alan

> Oh, come off it! I believe Kate Bush is one of the greatest female vocalists
> alive, BUT BE REASONABLE!!!!

Eh hem!  She's quite more important than just as a "vocalist".

> Why is it that any time someone produces a good piece of work you yell
> "Kate Bush influence!" ?

I do???

> Don't you believe some people have thier own talents?

I don't recall implying otherwise.

My only comment was that Love And Rockets is influenced by Kate Bush and
Godley and Creme insofaras use of a certain microphone and a certain
gizmo is an influence.  Nothing more.  And I certainly wouldn't claim
that that influence is particularly incredibly important.

Why is that anytime anyone makes a silly innocuous comment, someone else
has to make a big fuss over it?