[comp.sys.atari.st] New ST rumor

phr@mit-hermes.UUCP (02/05/87)

Someone who works here just read in a German computer magazine (I'm
not sure which one) that Atari is coming out with a new machine
called the 1040EST.  Supposedly, it will have 700x1000 monochrome
screen resolution and (hooray!) a memory map unit.

Confirmations/denials/further details?

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <2795@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU> phr@hermes.UUCP (Paul Rubin) writes:

>Someone who works here just read in a German computer magazine (I'm
>not sure which one) that Atari is coming out with a new machine
>called the 1040EST.  Supposedly, it will have 700x1000 monochrome
>screen resolution and (hooray!) a memory map unit.
>
>Confirmations/denials/further details?

A recent posting on BIX attributes the following to Shiraz Shivji re the EST:

   "We want to make a very upgradable path--specifically, we want the 68020
to be upgradable to the 68030, when that chip becomes available.  This is
a fairly complex proposition, and necessitates the use of another memory
management chip from Motorola, which is not yet finished without bugs.
This means that it may take a bit longer to do the system correctly, than
if we simply slapped a 68020 in, and ran with it."
  There are also some other issues to be addressed faster RAM, for one--but
once we clear these up, the machine will be a screamer."

By the way, Atari recently hired a serious network addict to help out in the
in the communications area, so perhaps their presence here will be increased...

Patrick@ark.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <2795@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU> phr@hermes.UUCP (Paul Rubin) writes:

>Someone who works here just read in a German computer magazine (I'm
>not sure which one) that Atari is coming out with a new machine
>called the 1040EST.  Supposedly, it will have 700x1000 monochrome
>screen resolution and (hooray!) a memory map unit.
>
>Confirmations/denials/further details?

At the Hannover Messe (starting March 4 1987) Atari will introduce some
new machines. First of all, my sources tell me there's gonna be an

 - Atari AT clone -

 Europe chose the AT computer instead of the XT released at the CES. They
 feel the quantity of XT's in Europese is to great to justify the release
 of the Atari XT clone. The machine will probably have the same multi-video
 controller as the Atari XT, but further details are unknown.

 Then there's the

  - Enhanced (Extended?) ST

  A machine that's _probably_ based on the 68020 (I'm pretty sure,
  in fact), has a screen resolution of 1024 x 940 (Or 740, not sure),
  and should have a ported version of Unix.

  They will also show the machines that were 'revealed' at the CES.
  I'll be going to Hannover, so I may report from there.