[comp.sys.atari.st] Less

c9c-bg@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (James A. Landay) (11/27/86)

Could someone please send me a copy of LESS and SPEECH, I couldn't get
either to work.

thanks,
James Landay
c9c-bg@buddy.berkeley.edu or landay@violet.berkeley.edu

afo@s.cc.purdue.edu (Alan Davis) (12/02/86)

In article <1149@zen.BERKELEY.EDU> c9c-bg@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (James A. Landay) writes:
>Could someone please send me a copy of LESS and SPEECH, I couldn't get
>either to work.

Me too!!

Alan Davis
Purdue University Computing Center

USENET:   {seismo, decvax, ucbvax, ihnp4}!pur-ee!s.cc!afo
BITNET: ADAVIS@PURCCVM

Disclaimer: My boss has opinions too but I can't express them in public.
Therefore, I thought up my opinions all by myself.

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (02/07/87)

[]
	Thanks for all the comments re. Less.  The main points were:

1)  Non-Msh users would like to invoke an editor.  The only problem I
forsee is how one would specify the name of the editor without a
question; perhaps it could just be called 'bingo' and people could
rename their fav. editor.. any suggestions?

2)  Msh users please note:  You can invoke an editor by

	i) defining an environment variable EDITOR and setting it to
	the name of your editor.  The default is 'vi' (heheh)
	ii) and using 'v' in less.

3)  An option to have 49 lines in monochrome (!).  I'll try this.

4)  Shell/editor  escapes for users of Breckmeyer's shell.  I don't
know anything about his shell, but I think that'll be fixed automatically in
a short while as Mark Williams and Breckmeyer have reached an
understanding on parameter passing conventions.

5) Handling first-word format files.  Ok.

6) Expanding wildcards:  I feel this is the shell's function.

7) Size of the utility & support:  I'd tried trimming it some, I'll try
some more.  Since it does quite a few things, I don't know if it'll get
much smaller.  Moshe's post of more a few days back takes care of that
if you need a leaner, meaner pager.  As for support, I'll deal with it.

8) M. Hanakson had a nice idea for handling the code.  I'll try it,
and leave the sources someplace people can ftp it.

	Thanks again for the comments, and just type 'h' for online
help!
							-ravi