[comp.sys.atari.st] Upgrading a 1040

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (02/08/87)

In article <4271@utah-cs.UUCP> atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (Bart L. Atwell) writes:

>What about upgrading the current ST's to accept the expansion peripherals
>that will be available on the Mega's.  It seems like there may be a lot
>of yet to be developed peripherals that we will miss out on unless something
>is done. (like the Atari Laserprinter, for example)
>
>Bart

Since the laser printer appears to connect to the standard DMA port, it
should in theory be compatable with any of the ST series.  The rub is that
since it doesn't have any intelligence in the printer, you need to have
1-2MB just to store the image bitmap, not to mention to programs. Doing
decompression or rendering on the fly can reduce this a good bit, but only
if the CPU can keep up with the printer.

I don't believe the actual details of the new expansion mechanism for the
mega-ST series were publically released at CES.  I didn't see anything
externally visible on the demo units except what appeared to be the standard
cartridge port...

Maintaining upward and downward compatiblty is real problem in the micro-
computer business.  By the time you get your first product to market, the
design is already squirming around, looking for new and unplanned ways to
grow.  Only Apple has done much as far as providing upgrades for existing
hardware, but then with the prices they charge, you probably paid for the
upgrade the first time around...