[comp.sys.atari.st] MWC Version 1.1

rowley@ORVILLE.ARPA.UUCP (02/06/87)

Does anyone out there with version 1.1 of MWC have any comments regarding
bugs in this software?  Does anyone have knowledge of version 1.0 bugs that
have been fixed?

I have version 1.0 of MWC, and while it is generally an excellent collection
of software, there are some irritating bugs.  Single character I/O is not
possible using the C library.  The msh shell sometimes ignores commands
after an error has occured.  The "Unix compatibility" library routines
(open, close, read, write, etc.) are buggy.

I called the Mark Williams Company to ask about an upgrade.  They connected
me to the Sales department, and I was put on hold for about 10 minutes.  At
this point my patience ran out.

Does anyone know what "gemfix.prg" (the final pass of cc) does?  I have
not yet found a reference to it in the documentation.

Thanks in advance,

Karl Rowley
rowley@orville.arpa

roof@unido.UUCP (02/08/87)

In article <8702052217.AA06374@orville.arpa>, rowley@ORVILLE.ARPA (Karl Rowley) writes:
> Does anyone out there with version 1.1 of MWC have any comments regarding
> bugs in this software?  Does anyone have knowledge of version 1.0 bugs that
> have been fixed?
I don't know about 1.0 bugs.

> I have version 1.0 of MWC, and while it is generally an excellent collection
> of software, there are some irritating bugs.  Single character I/O is not
> possible using the C library.  The msh shell sometimes ignores commands
> after an error has occured.  The "Unix compatibility" library routines
> (open, close, read, write, etc.) are buggy.
You can do single character io, but you have to do some "hacking" :
Take a look at stdio.h. Each FILE structure contains two pointer to
input resp. output functions. After the file is opened you may change these
pointers to your special GemDos routines. But you have to take care of the
data that is still in the buffer!
The new MSH doesn't ignore commands, but sometimes after an error returns
characters as control characters and it restarts a program once after
hitting ^C.
I haven't found any bugs in the UNIX(TM) libraries yet.
> Does anyone know what "gemfix.prg" (the final pass of cc) does?  I have
> not yet found a reference to it in the documentation.
This program does the convertion from MWC format to TOS fromat. It's
documented in the 1.1 docs.

	Andreas Toenne
	University of Dortmund, W-Germany
	Dept. of CS, IRB