[comp.sys.atari.st] CIS B, VAX/VMS software, uuencoding

FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET.UUCP (02/09/87)

I got quite a few responses to my question about compuserve B protocol.
This one pretty well says it all:

>From: ihnp4!macs!rpb@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Bob Breum)
>I use DTE.TOS, which is a very simple VT52 emulator which incorporates the
>CompuServe "B" protocol.  It is available from ATARI16 on CompuServe, in
>DL2.  Also, Beckemeyer Development Tools has just announced AnsiTerm, a full-
>featured telecomm package, which supports CIS B, Kermit, and XModem, and
>will run in the background, allowing you to perform other tasks while you
>download/upload.  It sells for $24.95.  His Usenet address is
>{ihnp4|atari}!hoptoad!db, or you can call him at (415)-478-1129.  Also, he
>runs a BBS, (415)-478-1129.
>I went crazy with Xmodem on CIS, until I found DTE!

I've tried DTE.TOS and it does very nicely on CIS, transferring files about
3 times faster than XMODEM.  It is however a no-frills program and gives
uniterm no competition on anything other than CIS.  If other Seekers are
interested I can mail a copy of it.  Thanks to everyone who responded.  I
wasn't able to send replies to some of the UUCP addresses, so don't think
I was ungrateful...

Other interesting points turned up in the search too.  It turns out that
SIMTEL20 on Arpa has VAX/VMS (and other) versions of various utilities.
I picked up VMSSWEEP from them, which is a (read-only) combination of
LSWEEP for CP/M .LBR files and ARC for our favorite .ARC files.  Now I
can see what's in the archives I get in the mail before I download them
to my ST...very nice.  The program is in Fortran.  For more information
send a mail message to ARCHIVE-REQUEST@SIMTEL20.ARPA consisting of the
line "SEND INFO".  (This works for BITNET...I guess arpa users can use
FTP or something.)

And, last item on my list, I have pulled several of the uuencoded files
from Houston (bitnet UH-INFO@UHUPVM1) and I've found a couple of them
were not right.  They contained grave accents (`) which have no business
being in uuencoded files.  Noticing a curious lack of blanks in the
file, I replaced the grave accents with spaces and the files worked.
I don't know why that peculiar transformation happened, but undoubtedly
EBCDIC is to blame.  EBCDIC and all machines that use it must be hunted
down and exterminated.  NOW.  It is an insidious disease.

Don Rice BITNET%"FXDDR@ALASKA"