[comp.sys.atari.st] text scrolling in windows

michael@slovax.UUCP (02/06/87)

> If you go through the normal GEMDOS console output calls, it emulates
> a VT52 terminal, which, true to form, scrolls the entire screen at once
>
> But if you go through the VDI, it doesn't emulate anything, so you must handle
> scrolling yourself.

It seems like one of our quick/PD/DA/hack programmers in netland could solve
this problem by writing a VT52-type terminal handler, with scrolling, which
would intercept (via interrupt or library functions linked in with programs
with sources) the text output and keep it within the window. Perhaps the
window area could be built in memory and blt-ed for speed.

I'm not sure about the technical details; is it feasible?

Maybe Atari could include it in their next ROM upgrade :-).

Michael Longe'
R & D Associates
..!tikal!slovax!michael

--------- standard disclaimer ---------------------------------------------

"I must regretfully decline based on my constitutional rights..."

--------- usual exclaimer -------------------------------------------------

Qui, moi?

holloway@drivax.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <267@slovax.UUCP> michael@slovax.UUCP (Michael Longe) writes:
>                                 perhaps the
>window area could be built in memory and blt-ed for speed.

"BLT-ted for speed" is an oxymoron; a contradiction in terms. But if you wanna
try it, keep in mind that blitting on word instead of byte or bit boundaries
is somewhat faster.
--
....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
Put the power of RANDOM NUMBERS to work FOR YOU!