[comp.sys.atari.st] Background up/downloading.. and st.sources group

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (02/12/87)

In article <8702110226.AA26446@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> Simon writes:
>> AnsiTerm.   ...and will run in the background, allowing you to perform
>> other tasks while you download/upload.

>Seriously, what use is this? The only speeds at which this could work resonably
>well is 300/1200 baud. Look at Flash etc. these programs are going flat out
>from about 4800 baud upward to get an acceptable transfer rate, at  300/1200
>baud you are probably using a telephone and paying for it--> so you don't
>want to have to retransmit a packet just because you just started loading a
>large file from disk or something else which takes over the machine.

	I rarely use a toll line, and if it's possible to edit
or do something while transmitting/receiving files, the extra time for
occasional retransmissions would be  acceptable.  Also, working from a
RAMdisk would make file access fast enough that it won't
matter...

>PS if you want to have this CIS B protocol in UniTerm, what about sending me
>   a protocol description.....I might build it in to UniTerm.

	Attaboy!

BTW, I fully concur with Simon's earlier article re. posting of uniterm 1.6g.
Following on the heels of Uemail, it was pretty ridiculous to see 2 (!)
copies.  Whatever happened to the sources newsgroup for the ST?   It seems like
we'd better get our act together before the powers that be do it for
us (ie. this newsgroup).

	Should the original proposer of the sources group start it?
(Jim Turner?)
								-ravi

turner@imagen.UUCP (02/12/87)

in article <2036@alvin.mcnc.UUCP>, ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) says:
> copies.  Whatever happened to the sources newsgroup for the ST?   It seems like
> we'd better get our act together before the powers that be do it for
> us (ie. this newsgroup).
>
> 	Should the original proposer of the sources group start it?
> (Jim Turner?)
> 								-ravi

i started to do it and was informed by someone (i forgot the name)
that no, no, he had the idea first and he was going to do it as soon
as some naming problems were cleared up, so i backed down. if that
person is still out there and has decided not to do
mod.sources.atari.st or mod.atari.st.sources or whatever please tell
me so i can do it.

--
C'est la vie, C'est le guerre, C'est la pomme de terre