[comp.sys.atari.st] FTP question

MHD@slacvm.BITNET.UUCP (02/12/87)

Date: 11 February 87 18:02-PST
From: MHD@SLACVM
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: FTP question

Date: 11 February 1987, 18:01:24 PST
From: Martin Donald             3205                 MHD      at SLACVM
To:   INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

Can anyone enlighten me about FTP? I see references to persons ftp'ing
from info-atari16@score.stanford.edu.

> When I run the disassembler that was posted to the net through
> uudecode, I get short file.  I also ftp'd it from info-atari on
> score.stanford.edu twice and got the same result. Can we get a
> repost, or can someone send me a working version.

> [Me too.  I tried all sorts of things like re-adding trailing spaces,
>  but without any luck.  The uue file contains tildes (""), which I
>  didn't think were supposed to be in such files any idea what they
>  should be ?        --BillW]

I presume that these persons activate a file transfer (File Transfer
Program) from the info-atari library at Stanford to their own computer.

How does one get access? How does one get the file directory? What
software is required to do this? [I have access to Bitnet.]

Note:

I too would like the disassembler and have not found it in the digests.
To those having trouble uudecoding it I would suggest globally changing
the tildes (7e) to carat (5e). By the time that I get access to the
digests all uuencoded files have this same error (courtesy of Big Blue).

Thanks in advance,        Martin Donald

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (02/13/87)

>Can anyone enlighten me about FTP? I see references to persons ftp'ing
>from info-atari16@score.stanford.edu.

	FTP is used to remotely retrieve files over the ARPAnet.  The ARPAnet
is a relatively fast real-time network.  You need access to a machine on the
ARPAnet to be able to use FTP.

				-Matt