[comp.sys.atari.st] questions!

OTOLTMAN@hlerul52.BITNET.UUCP (02/11/87)

Date:     Wed, 11 Feb 87 11:49 N
From:     <OTOLTMAN@HLERUL52.BITNET>
Subject:  questions!
To:       Info-atari16@score.Stanford.edu

  Well I 've read this info for a few months now and I have some burning
questions of my own.
  Is it true that one can use the Nec Multisync colour monitor wihtout
modifications? That 'll be a nice solution if Atari 'll support a higher
resolution.Yet it's price here in Europe is still a lot more than I can afford.
(But the price I've seen it advertised in U.S magazines,namely about the same as
a plain Atari colour monitor here{=$600},makes me feel jalous which is also the
case when I see those American software prices.)
  I also want to now what the best Pascal compiler available is for a St with
one diskdrive.Or do I have to wait for Turbopascal?
  C is out of the question because I don't want to spend the rest of my life
learning another (computer)language.It maybe that it is faster but in my opinion
,that's because the other compilers aren't fully optimized yet.(And does one
really need those extra %s speed ,or does one a faster computer)
  I've also considered GFA basic.If it's good ,it 'll make interactive
exploration of the St possible for the lains like me.
  And the last one.Is there a numerical co_processor for the St?

                                 Ron

csan@its63b.UUCP (02/13/87)

In article <8702111102.AA03984@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> OTOLTMAN%HLERUL52.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu writes:
>Date:     Wed, 11 Feb 87 11:49 N
>From:     <OTOLTMAN@HLERUL52.BITNET>
>Subject:  questions!
>To:       Info-atari16@score.Stanford.edu
>
>  Well I 've read this info for a few months now and I have some burning
>questions of my own.
>  I've also considered GFA basic.If it's good ,it 'll make interactive
>exploration of the St possible for the lains like me.
>  And the last one.Is there a numerical co_processor for the St?
>
>                                 Ron

Have you considered Fast Basic from Computer Concepts in the UK .
I have not got a copy (its supplied in ROM) but is *very* comprehensive.
It includes all the GEM/VDI calls missing from Atari Basic and an assembler
so M68000 can be learnt using a (fairly) forgiving environment.
There is a compiler available for it for 10 pounds . All the reviews I've read
about it are full of praise .
It costs 89.95 pounds and I can get you the address if you are interested .

Disclaimer : I dont work for CC or have anything to do with them (apart from
		using and liking their products.
--Andie.

Andrew Ness . Department of Computer Science
              EDINBURGH University.

                   ARPA:  csan%ed.itspna@ucl-cs.arpa
                   UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!itspna!csan
                   JANET: csan@uk.ac.ed.itspna

% These are my own views and any resemblance to any coherent reasoning is
% probably a typo.
%
%  "The back row strikes again!"