[comp.sys.atari.st] Upgrading a 1040 to 4 Megs <really Upgrade Policy>

Patrick@ark.UUCP (02/10/87)

In article <2086@ptsfa.UUCP> jmc@ptsfa.UUCP (Jerry Carlin) writes:
>"Let me make one thing perfectly clear": and I hope I'm not the only
>one that says this: I'd love to buy new stuff from Atari such as the
>laser printer BUT I need to have "a warm, fuzzy feeling" that Atari
>will not treat us like dirt once we buy something - this means supporting
>and upgrading existing owners of your hardware.

Last year, I visited the Comdex Spring exhibition in Atlanta to do a
story for some Dutch computer magazines. There I spoke to
Sig Hartmann (head of software development) and Sam "Son Of Jack" Tramiel.
They introduced a new ST-model and I asked Sam about the upgrade policy
for 'pioneer buyers'. His reply clarifies a lot, if his point of view
may be taken as the company policy on upgrad}ies:

"Upgrades? I just bought a new Ferrari last week. I only just found
out there's gonna be a new engine in these cars. And I'm not gonna
ask for an upgrade... People should be happy Atari is an active
company, making new machines, staying in the business."

Just passing through information... :-)

gary@percival.UUCP (02/13/87)

Expires:
I justed talked to one of Atari's authorized dealers here in town, whose attitude
was similar.

Anyone want a (hardly [because there is no decent OS or software]) used 520?