[comp.sys.atari.st] Byte review of 1040 ST

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (02/14/87)

Marc L. Applebaum writes:

> In the Feb. issue of BYTE Dave Menconi reviews the 1040st.  He
> critizies it for not having a RF modulator.  Does the AMIGA or the Mac
> have one? NO!  Neither of them have standrard ports!! The ST does!!
>
> He also critizies the read/write speed of the ST.  He does not mention
> that the ST took the least amount of time to recalculate a
> spreadsheet!

No the Amiga does not have an RF modulator, but there is a connector
on the back of the machine for one.  There's also RGB digital, RGB
analog and NTSC output too.

As far as standard ports go, my modem just simply plugs into the DB-25
serial connector on the back of my Amiga.  Same for the printer which
goes into the DB-25 parallel connector.  Only the monitor connector,
which is a DB-23, is unstandard -- and for good reason, too.  I can
just see some poor user plugging his monitor into the printer port.

As for the benchmark results, they are pretty bogus.  I would have
given them credence if the same software was run on all three
machines.  The only thing the benchmark proved is that different
people take different approaches to implementing a spreadsheet, some
of them faster than others.  Byte is doing better with their
benchmarks, though--at least they're comparing the ST, Mac and Amiga
with each other and not with the Apple II and IBM PC.  The only
problem with the benchmark test is finding a spreadsheet common to
all three machines--VIP Professional, maybe?

Please -- this is NOT meant to start another round of "my computer is
better than your computer" flame.  I just wanted to clear up some
misinformation.

--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu

"Amiga hackers do it graphically, with lots of sound effects"