[comp.sys.atari.st] MicroEMACS 3.7i double CR problem

sc_dra@bath63.UUCP (02/10/87)

There has been some discussion here recently about the habit of
MicroEMACS 3.7i terminating lines with CR CR LF.  The patches below
fix this problem, at least on my copy of 3.7i which came from a
disk of PD software.  Hopefully there is only one object version in
circulation.

offset  from  to
------  ----  --
02B61   02    01
02B79   02    01
10DCE   0D    0A

Hopefully the port of 3.8 will not have this problem.  Anyone got it
yet?
  ~    Dave Allum, SWURCC, University of Bath, BATH BA2 7AY, U.K.
 O^O
  V    USENET  ..!seismo!mcvax!ukc!bath63!sc_dra
 / \   JANET   dave@uk.ac.swurcc.gecdv
/\_/\
_| |_  ISD: +44 225 60371                  STD: Bath (0225) 60371

turner@imagen.UUCP (02/12/87)

in article <758@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk>, sc_dra@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk (Dave Allum) says:

> There has been some discussion here recently about the habit of
> MicroEMACS 3.7i terminating lines with CR CR LF.  The patches below
>
> Hopefully the port of 3.8 will not have this problem.  Anyone got it
> yet?

hopefully 3.8 will come up with a way to solve the following
dichotomy; on unix and VMS based systems CR's are considered excess
baggage and show up in the editor as \015's; under MSDOS etc. if
the lines don't end in CRLF they won't type (read show on the ST)
properly. Worse yet some ST utilities blowup if lines terminate in
CRLF. The solution that we've come up with is to make it an
environment variable, if you can think of a better way please tell
me quickly, 3.8e is just about ready.

--
---------------
C'est la vie, C'est le guerre, C'est la pomme de terre

john@viper.UUCP (02/16/87)

In article <863@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:
 >Worse yet some ST utilities blowup if lines terminate in CRLF.

That is bad...  Then again, I've yet to find any programs which do this.
Since the de-facto standard for ST text files is to terminate them with
CRLF, that's the way to go.  Any program which is written in such a way
so as to blow up if it receives a CRLF terminated line will blow up on
most ST text files and can safely be considered buggy...

  Writing a routine which will read text terminated with CR, LF, or CRLF
is non-trivial, but not too difficult.  If you're really having problems
with this, please contact me directly.  Include the current code for the
input loop, and I'll send back a portable version that can handle all 3
forms....

paone@topaz.UUCP (02/16/87)

There is a CR/LF problem with (where else?) Lattice C.  The source can
end this way without any problems, but the control file for the
linker cannot.  If it does, it gives error mssages that are next to
impossible to guess have anything to do with the .lnk file.  I was
going crazy for a few hours when this happened before I realized it.
--
Phil Paone
paone@topaz.rutgers.edu

"Admiral...There be whales here"