[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari ST with Ethernet

gary@brueer.UUCP (02/09/87)

I have heard some talk about, a company reboxing Atari 520/1040st's into PC
style cases and adding an Ethernet interface, can anyone confirm this. Please
send me the name and address of the company as I am interested in Ethernet
with the Atari. Also I have just heard from Atari(UK) about a future launch
in the UK of a desk top UNIX workstation they intend selling.
Can anyone tell me the release date as Atari (UK) have no idea when it will
be launched. Has it already been launched in the U.S.A. ?

Many Thanks

Gary Saker.

Please respond using the following information :

|   Gary A Saker, Dept of Elec Eng, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, UK   |
|   ARPA: gary%ee.brunel.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa     JANET:   gary@uk.ac.brunel.ee   |
|   UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!ee.brunel.ac.uk!gary   VOICE: +44 895 74000 Ext 2720   |

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (02/11/87)

In article <457@brueer.ee.brunel.ac.uk> gary@ee.brunel.ac.uk (Gary Saker) writes:

>I have heard some talk about, a company reboxing Atari 520/1040st's into PC
>style cases and adding an Ethernet interface, can anyone confirm this. Please
>send me the name and address of the company as I am interested in Ethernet
>with the Atari.

The Company is Logic Replacement Technology, in the UK. They put an
Ethernet interface into a 520 (not a 1040, for space reasons) and
distribute it with a cartridge containing telnet. Thus, one gets a
multi-session telnet system (up to 4 windowed sessions via Ethernet,
one via RS232). It works, because I am using one to send this, but it
needs better software yet: I hope to put out a better review when I get
the next version of the software.

The interface is sold as an upgrade kit, but I know nothing about
how one would then program it. I have told them (LRT) that they should
release it to the ST hackers and wait for software to flow.

I quite like the idea of a cheap multisession terminal. If they work on the
product it could be very nice.

I don't work for LRT, nor do I get paid as their publicity agent.
Contact them by snail mail or phone, at

	     Gareth Jones
	     Logic Replacement Technology
	     Arkwright road
	     Reading, Berks RG2 0LU
	     England

	     tel. (0734) 75 10 87    telex 847395

gary@brueer.UUCP (02/18/87)

Recently someone E-mailed me with the address of the supplier of an Atari St
with Ethernet, could that person send the information again as the Data
contained got screwed up on the journey to me.
If anyone is using such a machine would they send me details of its performance
etc, including dimensions as the re-boxed PC style version is of interest.

Many thanks.

Gary.