[comp.sys.atari.st] Jittery Monitor

atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (02/08/87)

I just got a monochrome monitor and I really like it.  I've noticed that the
screen image seems to jitter slightly.  Is this normal or is there some
adjustment that needs to be made (it's under warantee).

Bart

sccowan@watrose.UUCP (02/08/87)

[eat hot death, line-eater]
Message commiing thru from a friend:
Hummmm...  A friend of mine aquired a new 520FM last weekend.  Very
pretty and the tilt on the SM125 seemed like exactly what I need to
keep my cat (furry variety as opposed to my antiquated modem) from
sleeping atop it.  Nevertheless, I too noticed that the monitor was
very jittery.  If you do pursue having your's looked into, I wouldn't
mind hearing the results so that I can fill my friend in.  Oh well...
at least I can feel a little better about my nealy obsolet (sob...
whimper) OLD ST.
			Good Luck
				Peter Mendell
In real life:	S. Crispin Cowan
Home phone:	888-6375
Post Awful:	280 Phillip St., Apt. B4-1, Waterloo, N2L 3X1
USENET:		watmath!watrose!sccowan	or	sccowan@watmath

"I love the sound of flyback transformers in the morning.  It sound like...
	hacking."

ugachorn@sunybcs.UUCP (02/11/87)

I am not sure if this is your problem or not.  But I noticed that sometimes
when I set up my 520ST The monitor would have a jittery picture while other
times it wouldn't.  I found out that if the disk drives are close enough
to the monitor without any shielding then they can cause interference with
the picture.  I have 2 SF215(?) drives connected to my ST currently.

     Lee Achorn              --         SUNY at Buffalo Computer Science
UUCP:       ..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugachorn
CSNET:    ugachorn@Buffalo.CSNET        BITNET:   ugachorn@sunybcs.BITNET
ARPANET:  ugachorn%Buffalo@csnet-relay.ARPA

lean@sbstaff2.UUCP (02/11/87)

> Hummmm...  A friend of mine aquired a new 520FM last weekend.  Very
> pretty and the tilt on the SM125 seemed like exactly what I need to
> keep my cat (furry variety as opposed to my antiquated modem) from
> sleeping atop it.  Nevertheless, I too noticed that the monitor was
> very jittery.  ..etc.

  When I acquired my monochrome system in July 86, I did notice an
occasional jittery. Also a white ghost band (1/4 inch) would appear once
a while from left to right near the top of the screen. I returned the
monitor within a week, and the replacement I got (SM124) hasn't given
me any problem since (not even jittery).
  With regards to skewed display, etc., one can quite easily open up
the monitor and make some adjustments. If you look at the deflection yoke,
it's held by a single screw located at the neck of the tube. Unscrew it
slightly, gently turn the yoke as approppriate, then tighten screw again.
Right by the screw are two deflection levers; these shift the image
horizontally. To enlarge the image, adjust the white plastic screws located
on the bottom circuit board of the monitor. (All these pertain only to
the SM124 since that's all I have)
  Opening the monitor will VOID the warranty.

*** BE CAREFUL!!  HIGH Voltage in vicinity ***
I hereby disclaim myself from any responsibility as a result of anyone
reading the above posting.
--
CSNET: lean@sbcs.csnet
ARPA: lean%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (02/12/87)

In article <373@sbstaff2.UUCP> lean@sbstaff2.UUCP (Lean L. Loh) writes:
>> Nevertheless, I too noticed that the monitor was very jittery.  ..etc.

>  When I acquired my monochrome system in July 86, I did notice an
>occasional jittery. Also a white ghost band (1/4 inch) would appear once
>a while from left to right near the top of the screen.

	This has been gone over before, but the SM124 is >>very<<
sensitive to interference from just about anything..  even an
inoccuous digital clock, or radio, etc. kept in the vicinity (not even
on the monitor) may cause the picture to get the shakes.  If all such
sources are identified and eliminated, the problem will probably go
away,
								-ravi

bjorn@alberta.UUCP (02/13/87)

In article <2037@alvin.mcnc.UUCP>, ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) writes:
> 	This has been gone over before, but the SM124 is >>very<<
> sensitive to interference from just about anything..  even an
> inoccuous digital clock, or radio, etc. kept in the vicinity (not even
> on the monitor) may cause the picture to get the shakes.

My SM124 is quite impervious to any of the above mentioned
interference sources.  According to the stickers on the back
of the monitor it was manufactured in August 1985.  It's beauty
is not in the least diminished by placing a radio next to or on
top of it.  Incidentally it's the only type of monitor that I
can star at for hours on end with my contacts in.  My guess is
that the high contrast and refresh rate are responsible.

			Bjorn R. Bjornsson
			alberta!bjorn

KJBSF@slacvm.BITNET.UUCP (02/20/87)

Date: 19 February 87 16:20-PST
From: KJBSF@SLACVM
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE
Subject: Re: Jittery Monitor

Date: 19 February 1987, 16:17:57 PST
From: Kevin J. Burnett          x3330                <KJBSF@SLACVM>
To:   <INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD>

The only thing I have found that has made my monitor go funny is an
electric pencil sharpener, and that's only when the motor in the sharpener
is actually turning.