[comp.sys.atari.st] Lattice C, shel_write, pexec

rowley@ORVILLE.ARPA.UUCP (02/19/87)

In Info-Atari16 Digest, Wednesday, February 18, 1987, Volume 87 : Issue 86
ihnp4!laidbak!tm@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Takis Mercouris) writes:

> I suspect that the Lattice C equivalent of pexec is the ridiculously
> named shel_write, however, if I am right, the description is really

According to the Sybex GEM book, shel_write() is part of the Shell library of
the AES.  The Shell library most likely calls pexec().  The Sybex book mentions
the Shell library, but unfortunately does not give descriptions of any of the
functions in it.  Even if the Abacus book had much to say about this topic, I
would ignore it.

I looked at the Megamax documentation, and the Shell library was not documented
there either.  That was interesting, since it has been claimed that Megamax
has complete GEM documentation.

My conclusion is that the only place these functions are documented is in the
Atari developers kit.  (Let us pray that they are also documented in MWC 2.0.)

Would some kind soul who has information about the Shell library clue us in
as to what the functions in it do?  What about the Scrap library?

Karl Rowley
rowley@orville.arpa

P.S.  Neil@atari, Jack@atari, others -- where is the documentation that can
      be purchased without paying $300?

turner@imagen.UUCP (02/20/87)

in article <8702191922.AA05670@orville.arpa>, rowley@ORVILLE.ARPA (Karl Rowley) says:

> My conclusion is that the only place these functions are documented is in the
> Atari developers kit.  (Let us pray that they are also documented in MWC 2.0.)
no necessarily so, i just got an excellant book on the ST, It has
everything in the dev ket doc's including the shell lib in a clear
concise format. It is called

The Concise Atari ST 68000 Programmer's Reference Guide
	by Katherine Peel

Published by:
	Glentop Publishers Ltd.
	Standfast House
	Bath Place
	High Street
	Barnet
	Herts EN5 5XE

ISBN 1 85181 017 X

For those people in the San Jose area (and willing to admit it),
Computer Literacy has about a dozen copies.

> Would some kind soul who has information about the Shell library clue us in
> as to what the functions in it do?  What about the Scrap library?

The scrap library contains routines that manage the exchange of data
between applications, it can be used as a kind of a pipe function,
there is a scrap_read() and scrap_write() (no kidding (:-)
The shell library allows one application to call another keeping
track of command and their args. You can do things like get the name
of the routine that called you and the args, schedule a program to be
run when the current pgm exits, etc. These are all GEM AES routines.

> Karl Rowley
> rowley@orville.arpa
>

> P.S.  Neil@atari, Jack@atari, others -- where is the documentation that can
>       be purchased without paying $300?

between this book and Abacus (typos and all) books i think this is a
dead issue. For about $20 you can get all the info in the dev kit.

--
C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre