[comp.sys.atari.st] Step rates and subdirectories

SOFPJF@uoguelph.BITNET.UUCP (02/07/87)

Date:         Fri, 06 Feb 87 11:51:07 EST
From:         Peter Jaspers-Fayer <SOFPJF@UOGUELPH>
Subject:      Step rates and subdirectories ("folders")
To:           Atari ST users <INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU>

2 questions for the group:

1) I have a program (PD? I hope so) that tests the disk drive.  It allows
   you to set the step rate to 2 3 6 or 12 MS, and then do end-to-end or
   random seeks.  12 sounds really awful, but 2ms (the default is 3) is
   great.  I found that by <control>C'ing during the test, I can return
   back to GEM (or CLI) with the seek rate still at 2ms!

   I don't have the developer's kit (I'm waiting - like many others) for
   the "great unbundling" so I can buy the doc's without buying the junk
   KERMIT, and (from all accounts) poor C compiler.  So I was wondering:

   Is there a "Well behaved" (i.e. TOS-release independant etc.) way of
   setting the step rate?  If so, could someone post the code (the A68 PD
   assembler would be best, but I can get someone else to compile C for me)
   that would set the rate to 2 ms?  With the FORMAT-PLUS, and 2ms step
   rate, the old floppy really flies!

2) I've seen this on both mine and someone elses machine:

   You've decided to get rid of a "folder" (I hate that word!) and it's
   contents, so you click on the "<>NAME" and drag it to the trash.  Click
   OK, and watch the count-down as the files in the subdirectory die..2,1,0
   and then "ALERT! THIS CAN'T BE DELETED |OK|" (no it's NOT OK! - Grrr.)
   Sorry I can't recall the exact text at work, but it's the alert that
   comes out when you try to trash a protected file.

   So now I have this empty folder I can't delete.  I load up a sector edit
   and check.  Hex '10' (a directory) is the only flag.   Duhh, say WHAT?
   You can put stuff back in it, and take stuff out, but you can't delete
   it.  Incredible.

   Ideas?
 /PJ

i111@ztivax.UUCP (02/11/87)

To delete an empty folder you have to put a file into it.
Then you can delete the whole folder. But don't ask me
why. There seems to be no rule when it's impossible an empty
folder.
Hope this helps a bit

Klaus Zuenkler, Munich (Germany) (unido!ztivax!i111)

pes@bath63.UUCP (02/13/87)

There is a bug (in at least some versions of the system -- e.g. the one I've
got) which causes that effect if you have a folder with an 8-character name.
It looks like somewhere someone has allocated 8 bytes to store the name, and
forgot about the NUL termination char.  If this is what is byting you ( :-)
use your disk-patcher to NUL the eighth char of the name and you can then
make the folder go away.

preston@felix.UUCP (02/20/87)

>To delete an empty folder you have to put a file into it.
>Then you can delete the whole folder. But don't ask me
>why. There seems to be no rule when it's impossible an empty
>folder.

What???

I have never had a problem deleting a folder, full or empty.  What is
this about?

Preston L. Bannister
USENET	   :	ucbvax!trwrb!felix!preston
BIX	   :	plb
CompuServe :	71350,3505
GEnie      :	p.bannister

ljdickey@water.UUCP (02/21/87)

In article <40400001@ztivax.UUCP>, i111@ztivax.UUCP writes:
> To delete an empty folder you have to put a file into it.
> Then you can delete the whole folder. But don't ask me why.

This is strange.  I have not had this problem.  Are there
different versions of the operating system out there that
cause these differences?

--
  Prof. L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UUCP    ljdickey%water@waterloo.CSNET

john@viper.UUCP (02/22/87)

In article <40400001@ztivax.UUCP> i111@ztivax.UUCP writes:

 >To delete an empty folder you have to put a file into it.

Klaus, whoever told you this probably has never used an ST.

Just to check, I just now created a folder and tosed it in the trashcan.
No problem ...  System didn't bomb, no error messages... And folder is gone.

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john