[comp.sys.atari.st] Time/Date Setting Question

cbz@mhuxu.UUCP (02/18/87)

I have tried running DATE.PRG, CLOCK.PRG and SETTIME.PRG from an AUTO
folder in an effort to set the correct time and date at boot-up.  Of
these, only DATE.PRG did much of anything, and even with DATE my Control
Panel and several clock and calendar display accessories I have display
a `default' value of 5/29/85 5:30PM.  Does anyone have any suggestions on
what my problem is???
                                                    Ziemer at AT&T-BL

sansom@trwrb.UUCP (02/20/87)

In article <6308@mhuxu.UUCP> cbz@mhuxu.UUCP writes:
>I have tried running DATE.PRG, CLOCK.PRG and SETTIME.PRG from an AUTO
>folder in an effort to set the correct time and date at boot-up...

The control panel clock (for some reason) is not updated very often (maybe
every minute or so).  Check the control panel several minutes after you boot
with one of the above mentioned programs and see if it shows the correct time
and date.  If it doesn't, then you are probably using an old version of the
control panel.  I think the new one is available from Atari's BB (or drop
me a line and I'll mail it to you).

-Rich
--
 __________ ______ ____ _____ ___
/_________//___   ||__|/____|/__/   Richard E. Sansom

turner@imagen.UUCP (02/20/87)

in article <6308@mhuxu.UUCP>, cbz@mhuxu.UUCP (Craig B. Ziemer) says:

> Panel and several clock and calendar display accessories I have display
> a `default' value of 5/29/85 5:30PM.  Does anyone have any suggestions on
> what my problem is???
>                                                     Ziemer at AT&T-BL

yes, the odds are that you have an 'old' version of control.acc
which ignored any clock values that were set in the auto folder and
always used its own default. The new control.acc can be gotten from
the Atari BBS, or if that's too expensive i can get it and email it to
you.

--
---------------
C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre

john@viper.UUCP (02/21/87)

The problems you are having are directly related to the first two versions
of the control panel accessory.  It "helpfully" (ha!) sets the time and
date to a default when it is initialized.  Since it always "knows" what
the time is suppost to be, whenever you open and close the panel, it resets
the date and time to what -it- thinks they're suppost to be.
  The fix is to obtain one of the three control panel programs that don't
think they know everything.  These are available via many user groups, bbs's
Compuserve and ST using friends...

  (Note that you can run one of the time/date setting programs -after- the
desktop is initialized, and this will set things correctly for time stamping
your files.  The only problem is, again, that if you open the control panel,
it will set the time to it's false time and you have to run your setting
program again.  The best fix is just get a new control panel....)

cbz@mhuxu.UUCP (02/23/87)

To all of you kind souls who suggested that I get the new version of the
control panel to cure my time and date setting woes: I did and it works.
THANKS!!!

Craig Ziemer at AT&T-BL