[comp.sys.atari.st] ramdisk wishlist

long@sask.UUCP (02/18/87)

I would like some feedback on this:  Why yes, Why no...

I would love to have the little red busy light/s on my drive
light up when my ramdisk is being written or read.  Since the
busy light is independent of drive-startup and can be turned on
and off fairly easily, this shouldn't be too hard to do.

Con:  might look like accessing floppy, but then motor should not
      be on, so should be distinguishable.

Pro:  Ramdisks function invisiblely.  That makes me nervous at times.
      I like to have some sort of indicator.

Suggestion:   Maybe the light could blink or something.

Warren

--
=-=-=-=-=-Warren Long at University of Saskatchewan, Canada-=-=-=-=-
Home: 78 Carleton Dr.,Saskatoon, Sasakatchewan, S7H 3N6

wheels@mks.UUCP (02/23/87)

In article <617@sask.UUCP>, long@sask.UUCP (Warren Long) writes:

> I would love to have the little red busy light/s on my drive
> light up when my ramdisk is being written or read.
>
> Warren

How about having the ramdisk driver twiddle a couple of pixels in the
upper right corner of the screen? That corner seems to be expendable,
as witnessed by the number of computer/programs which put clocks and
other things up there.

Myself, I don't see the need for indication of ramdisk activity -- it
happens so quickly you might not see the indicator anyway. If you stretch
out the indication to make it visible, you'll slow down the ramdisk.

Speaking of indicators, however, has anyone modified their (external)
floppies so the LED is connected to the drive select line instead of the
motor-on line? I have seen a few systems (not ST's) that work this way.
The LED is then much more indicative of activity. If I don't hear from
anyone on this, I'll look into it myself and post whatever I find.

--
Gerry Wheeler                  {allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!watmath!mks!wheels
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.

gordon@sage.UUCP (02/25/87)

In article <617@sask.UUCP> long@sask.UUCP (Warren Long) writes:

>I would love to have the little red busy light/s on my drive
>light up when my ramdisk is being written or read.  Since the
>Suggestion:   Maybe the light could blink or something.

Why not light both disk lights at once (for those with two drives)
That WOULD distinguish it from actual disk accesses.