[comp.sys.atari.st] whence `shar'

RDROYA01@ULKYVX.BITNET.UUCP (02/27/87)

[was there a line above this one?]

In article comp$sys$atari$st 1288 L. J. Dickey [ljdickey@water.UUCP] writes:

> Not too long ago someone posted code for "shar" that was said to compile
> both on a vax and on the ST.

Because I'm the one who posted shar, I guess I should be the one to
defend it.

> I would like to pose the question:  Why use shar?

> The uses of "shar" that I have seen in this group have been to bundle
> several files together and do some trivial checking, such as counting
> characters, and of those that I have looked at in this group, every one
> has given some error report.  I count that as unreliable.

While it is true that shar does not contain heavy error checking (I never
even use what little is there), it is also true that it was not designed to
do heavy checking.  I think there are real advantages to shar for
transferring text files from one computer to another.  I use shar, not just
for transferring files across the net, but for transferring groups of files
from my micro to our vax.  It always seems easier to me to transfer one or
two large archives than a group of small texts.  (And I am talking about
text, not binaries.)

> Just on the surface, it looks like "uuencode" and "arc" are more useful
> than "shar".  I would like to hear a defense of "shar".

Arc is a useful utility when you have something on the other end to dearc
the file, but Arc plus uuencode will often convert text files into archives
larger than the individual files which translates to longer upload time.
Then there is the problem of getting a huge binary archive onto the ST and
finding CRC errors in it so that it will not dearc.

I ported shar to the ST because I often grab sources from mod.sources and
98 percent of those are in shar format.  Usually the code has a few character
transpositions.  Curly braces end up with the high bits set.  A few other
characters get transposed also.  Shar does not care about this and will
still extract all the parts.  I even have a small filter which changes all
the characters back.

> On the other hand, some people have used "arc" and "uuencode" and most of
> the things I have looked at that use these programs have worked. The
> "arc" program has some error checking in it, and it seems to be better
> than the checking used by people here using "shar".

Were I to receive an arced version of the original source, download it to
the ST and run it through standard uudecode, chances are those same types
of transpositions would occur (every standard uuencoded file I've decoded
has been that way because our files come through an IBM along the line).
Arc just dies, and there is no way to salvage any of the lost info.

On our Vax, most of what I have compiled on the ST will port almost
directly to the ST.  In fact I often unshar and compile first on the Vax
before I download source.  The final argument I have in favor of shar is
that it encourages the distribution of source code and lets readers see the
code before copying it to their accounts.  (Mail is more civilized on our
system than some; we don't subscribe individually to newsgroups but extract
what we want from a collective pool.)

>  Prof. L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
>       ljdickey@water.UUCP    ljdickey%water@waterloo.CSNET
>       ljdickey%water%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA
>       ljdickey@water.BITNET

 Robert Royar, Department of English, University of Louisville
        rdroya01@ulkyvx.bitnet
        rdroya01%ulkyvx.bitnet@wiscvm.arpa