[comp.sys.atari.st] Support...

UACE0@uhupvm1.BITNET.UUCP (02/28/87)

Date:         Fri, 27 Feb 87 23:31:49 CST
From:         "University (of Houston) ACE (UACE)" <UACE0@UHUPVM1>
Subject:      Support...
To:           ST Users <INFO-ATARI16@score.stanford.EDU>

FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME ON ON ON ON

I really can't understand all this fuss about Atari support.  We know exactly
what Atari has been trying to overcome since the disasterous days of Warner
Communications.  We know Atari has battled to make a profit, and now that they
have started gaining ground, they are trying to expand their product line to
increase the customer base.  More customers means more money, which in turn
means that once cash flow is not a problem, every worthwhile project can be
examined and/or implemented.

How much money is Atari going to make from the minority of people who want
adequate support in terms of more reference manuals.  Myself, I believe that
the source listing to the bios is about the best documentation one could have.
Remember, GEM is proprietary to DRI, and they haven't even released good info
on CPM (although it is dead!).

My personal belief is if you are a SERIOUS software developer, then you will
have enough working knowledge to figure out what needs to be done, and do it.
If you are committed to coming out with a product, then you WILL, because you
have made the commitment to yourself.  However, if you are a hacker/beginner
who wants all the worlds information laid out on a silver platter because you
are not sophisticated enough to 'hack it out,' then you'll have to wait.

I have yet to run across a problem which couldn't be solved with a little time
investment and serious coding.

FLAME OFF

Since I have bought my 520ST and hard disk, I have been more than happy to know
that I have a system that is price to power effective.  Remember, the ST is
still in its infancy, and Atari is hardly out of the woods.  I have and always
will be happy with the computer I have, just because it is exactly what I
wanted for the money, having all the power and features I need.  And yes, GEM
does lack some things, but what it lacks, I simply write new code to handle.
And yes, I am developing software now.  I am tired of this insensitive griping
at Atari from armchair critics.  Let's see you run Atari and see what happens!!
I'm tired of all this bitching, bitching, bitching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Provide positive feedback if you wish to do any good.

None of the above reflects the view points of UACE or the U of H, just my own
selfish satisfied self.     - Mike Vederman

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>And to think, I don't get paid for this!!!<>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

csch@tub.UUCP (03/06/87)

I think Mike should work in the advertising-section of atari-germany ...

Ok, starting my reply:

I think only HACKERS are intended to ,,hack out`` the interiors of the
ST (and -believe me- I for myself, I am a HACKER) but if you have to
do REAL WORK based on this support you get sick ...

The thing I was critizising in one of my last notes was, that
,,DEVELOPERS`` had to pay 4300,- DM, about $2200 (in 1985) for the
so called ,,developers kit`` - And for such a price you've got the
RIGHT to expect more than five disks with tiny software on christmas ...

Another thing (I don't know exactly what ATARI-US is doing, BUT:) is, that
ATARI Germany (And we in the German-speaking part of Europe depend on them)
is not even able to support us the right way
(BTW: what's the right way ??? :-) :-) :-)

ATARI-Germ. is ONLY (it seems to be ...) a huge ,,selling machine`` ...

Simply have a closer look on that, what ATARI is doing on the CeBit-Hannover-
Fair ....

Rgds.

Clemens

Contact via: