[comp.sys.atari.st] Blitter and Roms

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) (03/10/87)

In article <620@atari.UUCP> leavens@atari.UUCP (Alex Leavens) writes:

>  There's been no final decision made on this--I think Leonard's comment
>about "Leaving this up to marketing types" was more of a hedge than an actual
>statement of intent.  At this point I think we want  your input.  How many
>of you _aren't_ going to upgrade to blitters, but still  want the ROMS?

	Man, you sure have your share of twits, don't you?  Re. the
ROMs, please clarify something:  What are the changes in the ROMs,
other than the Blitter support?  If I do not want the blitter at this
time, will it buy me anything to get the ROMs alone?  Even if the
ROMs just fix some of the more ridiculous bugs, I'd want them.  If
they do not fix anything, and just add blitter support, I
won't want them unless I get the blitter also.  Finally, if I get the
ROMs now, can I get the blitter by itself later?

	I think people would be outraged if you did not offer
the ROMs seperately also, but how do the various deals work out?

								-ravi

ps: Hey Alex, you sure grin a lot! 8^)

leavens@atari.UUCP (03/11/87)

> Re. the ROMs, please clarify something:  What are the changes in the ROMs,
> other than the Blitter support?  If I do not want the blitter at this
> time, will it buy me anything to get the ROMs alone?  Even if the
> ROMs just fix some of the more ridiculous bugs, I'd want them.  If
> they do not fix anything, and just add blitter support, I
> won't want them unless I get the blitter also.  Finally, if I get the
> ROMs now, can I get the blitter by itself later?

  The new ROMS, in addition to fixing bugs, will support the blitter
chip.  You can upgrade to the new ROMS without having the blitter chip,
and get all the fixes.  You can then upgrade to the blitter later.
(Notice how I snuck this in?  <grin>)

> ps: Hey Alex, you sure grin a lot! 8^)

  Got to, in order to keep my sanity <grin!>

--alex @ Atari

BIX:alexl.            GEnie: ALEXLEAVENS      AtariCorp: 408-745-2006

"How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all."