[comp.sys.atari.st] neat software ideas like 640*800 in software! was Stereoscopic...

magore@watdcsu.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <634@sask.UUCP> long@sask.UUCP (Warren Long) writes:
[munch...]
>I have been toying with this idea for some time.  I wrote a little
>program on the atari 800 to screen-flip different intensities to the
>screen and so create images with 4 grey levels, with 320 * 192
>resolution.  Worked okay, but definate flicker.
[munch...]
>Warren

Ok, I like all these ideas so I would like to offer a few of my own
to add to the mix...

	 With a very simple external bit of hardware [ or maybe software
by playing with the display chips sync mode to confuse them for the
correct ammount of time???] it would be possible to have 640*800 in high res
and 640*400 color high res.  Most monitors start the vertical sync sweep
down the screen right after the release of vertical sync without concern for
horizontal phase. If every other screen was delayed in the normal release of
vertical sync by 1/2 half horizontal sync then you could interlace both screens
just as normal TV does. On the mono-high-res this would work with much less
flicker then a normal TV with NTSC would. [70hz!].  [ The frame rate would be
twice as much ]. On color mode it would be the same with minor flicker , as
on normal tv with near horizontal fine detail]. Also every other screen would
have to display form two differing screen copies. [ New software drivers
required though]. Oh yes, now turn your monitor on it's side and use
as a full page display 800*640!?!

	Discarding the latter ideas of 800*640 we can do VERY fast scrolling
640*800 for full screen width displays. Here is how:
Lose some memory and ORG each scan line [ or group of them ] MOD 256.
Have the horizontal interrupt routine traverse a linked list so
scrolling is a simple matter of altering a pointer! Imagine what UNITERM could
do with this [ hint hint:) ].

	Last idea. I have made a $20 video digitizer by running my
cammera off the ST's sync and using the color high-res screen as
a trigger source for a sample hold connected to an A/D. Start in the upper
left hand corner and set/reset points top down and repeat left to right.
16 seconds later you have an image using the atari to replace most
of the counting hardware you would normally need to do this. The whole set up
works off the printer port and triggers off the red video output.
[ It's works just great I have been using it for half a year now].

	On using 5 1/4" drives don't forget to buffer the drive select
and side select signals with open collector drivers and pull-up's.
The drivers on the ST for those signals alone can not drive the termination
packs in standard 5 1/4" drives... I use TEAC 80 track drives at the noramal
ST step rate and they work just fine. I added a 37 pin D connector to the
ST520 case above where the RF modulator isn't :) I used the same pin out as
the 34 pin cable less 3 wires... [ I mention the drive type because not all
5 1/4" drives work at the fast rates so be careful... ]

Best Regards,

PS. I know some of ideas are simple and obvious to a few of you out there
but if they were not and anyone finds them useful remember me when your
rich :) Though I would make do with say a demo copy of course :) hint hint]

# Mike Gore
# Institute for Computer Research. ( watmath!mgvax!root - at home )
# These ideas/concepts do not imply views held by the University of Waterloo.